General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Why You Shouldn’t Ride a Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You're dangerous goose.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Wow. I guess I feel like we're all just mortals and there is no life without death. Yeah it DOES suck, but get over it; you can't avoid it. I choose my risks by not doing stupid crap when I ride, but I still ride. We all do our own "risk assessment" by choice or default. I can live (or die) with my choices. Can you? There are no re-do's.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
12 years ago when my son was born, I got rid of this:

I guess it scared me to think of not being here for him. A lot of guys go though the same feelings. Then when he was 8 I started looking at bikes again, and came across the 06 KLX.

I GOT OVER MY FEARS!!! Oh and $750,000 in insurance helps too.

But seriously, driving to the store everyday, or eating foods that are bad for you is a risk...heck arguing with your wife can be worse than riding without gear at all.

4 reasons people die on bikes. 3 of which we can control and 1 we can't.

1. Not enough experience (gained over time will help, and take the class) Also in this classification is riding according to weather conditions and taking the surface into consideration.

2. Not wearing the gear...ALL THE GEAR! Riding in shorts and no shirt is a no no!

3. SPEED SPEED SPEED!!! A huge percentage of riders hurt or killed are the result of riding faster than they should or beyond their skill or both.

4. This one we can't control. The person talking on their cell phone while driving. The idiot that thinks they can lane share with you. The old lady that has blue hair and is looking through the steering wheel to see. Actually its everyone that gets behind a wheel and drives a car. No matter how we talk and say "well I look out for motorcycles" I can count a few times when I just didn't see one, and it could have been bad.

So in conclusion, we all take risks, we all take precautions, and somewhere in the middle we have fun. Just be careful out there, and don't read the crap that the media and extremists write about what we all love to do.

Don't forget fresh cut grass and gravel. I hate those on a motorcyle.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
12 years ago when my son was born, I got rid of this:

I guess it scared me to think of not being here for him. A lot of guys go though the same feelings. Then when he was 8 I started looking at bikes again, and came across the 06 KLX.

I GOT OVER MY FEARS!!! Oh and $750,000 in insurance helps too.

But seriously, driving to the store everyday, or eating foods that are bad for you is a risk...heck arguing with your wife can be worse than riding without gear at all.

4 reasons people die on bikes. 3 of which we can control and 1 we can't.

1. Not enough experience (gained over time will help, and take the class) Also in this classification is riding according to weather conditions and taking the surface into consideration.

2. Not wearing the gear...ALL THE GEAR! Riding in shorts and no shirt is a no no!

3. SPEED SPEED SPEED!!! A huge percentage of riders hurt or killed are the result of riding faster than they should or beyond their skill or both.

4. This one we can't control. The person talking on their cell phone while driving. The idiot that thinks they can lane share with you. The old lady that has blue hair and is looking through the steering wheel to see. Actually its everyone that gets behind a wheel and drives a car. No matter how we talk and say "well I look out for motorcycles" I can count a few times when I just didn't see one, and it could have been bad.

So in conclusion, we all take risks, we all take precautions, and somewhere in the middle we have fun. Just be careful out there, and don't read the crap that the media and extremists write about what we all love to do.

I felt the same way when my now 10 month old was born. I also thought, you can be killed in a car accident, on duty incident and so on. Life is full of risk and having life insurance and riding with some sense makes all the difference.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

i like to wear this while i ride my bike