General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Why You Shouldn’t Ride a Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Why You Shouldn’t Ride a Motorcycle

http://www.neatorama.com/2008/10/26/...-a-motorcycle/

Okay I'm gonna argue this !!!

Growing up, my father lovingly gave my brother and I three commandments that we absolutely, positively must not break: 1) no drugs 2) no religious cults and 3) no motorcycles.

Why no motorcycle? The way he put it: If you ride a motorcycle, when it rains, you get wet. When it’s hot, you suffer, too. If a car hit you, you’d lose. If you hit a car, you’d lose as well. Now, how can one argue with that logic?

Vic Mackey: "If it rains where rain gear if you don't want to get wet, or don't ride in the rain unless you have to. I don't suffer on a bike when it's hot. What in the hell is he talking about ??? Don't hit cars with your motorcycle and drive defensive. We all drive cars near trucks. Car vs truck ??? If your in a car hit by a semi, you lose. I just argued that logic."

Apparently, Jeremy Clarkson of BBC TV’s Top Gear show doesn’t like motorcycle as well. If you’re thinking of switching to a motorcycle to save on fuel, read what he wrote in his review of the Vespa scooter first:

If you use only the front brake, you will fly over the steering wheel and be killed. If you try to use the back one, you will use the wrong foot and change into third gear instead of stopping. So you’ll hit the obstacle you were trying to avoid, and you’ll be killed.

Vic mackey: " I have used only the front brake on a scooter, dirt bike and my current motorcycle and never flew over the handle bars. Uhhhh!!! The rear brake is on the right and I have never confused the brake with the gears.

Then there is the steering. The steering wheel comes in the shape of what can only be described as handlebars, but if you turn them — even slightly — while riding along, you will fall off and be killed. What you have to do is lean into the corner, fix your gaze on the course you wish to follow, and then you will fall off and be killed.

Vic Mackey: "This is all a bunch of B/S. I have turned mind more than slightly to avoid obstacles @ 55 mph and didn't fall off or even come close. Lean and look through corners all the time and don't fall off. "

As far as the minor controls are concerned, well . . . you get a horn and lights and indicators, all of which are operated by various switches and buttons on the steering wheel, but if you look down to see which one does what, a truck will hit you and you will be killed. Oh, and for some extraordinary reason, the indicators do not self-cancel, which means you will drive with one of them on permanently, which will lead following traffic to think you are turning right. It will then undertake just as you turn left, and you will be killed.

Vic Mackey: "Uhhhh!!! I look at my intruments from time to time forget to turn off my turn signal. Okay, and then I see my instrument panel flashing the green light and turn it off."

What I’m trying to say here is that, yes, bikes and cars are both forms of transport, but they have nothing in common. Imagining that you can ride a bike because you can drive a car is like imagining you can swallow-dive off a 90ft cliff because you can play table tennis.

Vic Mackey : "There is some truth to this statement, however you can learn to ride a bike by taking a course and practice."

However, many people are making the switch because they imagine that having a small motorcycle will be cheap. It isn’t. Sure, the 125cc Vespa I tried can be bought for £3,499, but then you will need a helmet (£300), a jacket (£500), some Freddie Mercury trousers (£100), shoes (£130), a pair of Kevlar gloves (£90), a coffin (£1,000), a headstone (£750), a cremation (£380) and flowers in the church (£200).

Bottom line is, there is risk in everything you do. People are killed in accidents every day. No matter if its a car, motorcycle, truck, bicycle, etc. There are risk involved. Yes you are harder to see and have less protection on a motorcycle. This guys logic is not logic at all. What do you think. I say ride if you accept the risk!!!!!!!

Compare this:

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200..._accident.html

http://www.wbz.com/pages/4371548.php?

Another negative article on bikes http://ask.metafilter.com/44065/Exac...re-motorcycles

Im curious how the rest of you decided to accept the risk and ride. How does your family feel about your riding hobby. ????

For me I am already in a high risk job being a police officer. I say a little prayer every day and kiss my wife and kids goodbye. I take all the survival training I can and keep a close eye out for any trouble. I think riding a motorcycle is a lot like that too. It may even be more dangerous, due to the lack of controlling a rapidly evolving situation. My wife supports me in everything I do. I am very cautious when riding and wear my gear. I got to parking lot once a week and practice avoiding obstacles and emergency braking.

Last edited by Vic Mackey; 06-07-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I take all the survival training I can and keep a close eye out for any trouble. I think riding a motorcycle is a lot like that too. It may even be more dangerous, due to the lack of controlling a rapidly evolving situation.
I did not plan on the first two wives not liking my riding. Oh well, still working on the evasive maneouvers with the 3rd one. Ride safe people

Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dragone#19
i did not plan on the first two wives not liking my riding. Oh well, still working on the evasive maneouvers with the 3rd one. Ride safe people

lol!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member

My mother objected to me having a road bike (AJS 500 twin) mainly because of the Marlon Brando bikie image. Later I got a trail bike - comment "Oh! That's a nice little bike" Then it was riding enduros, Mx etc for years. I think she realized she'd been had after a while. Now its back where I started - road bikes. When I made the shift back I did get a lot of adverse comments from workmates.

gammac

Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

what a load of hogwash, no logic involved just fear mongering.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kohburn
what a load of hogwash, no logic involved just fear mongering.

Yeah lets all be scared to step outside the house. Guy who wrote that, never road a bike I will bet.

Just today, some old man came up to me at the gas pump and said " Nice bike I use to have one, but I was going 80 miles an hour and hit a pebble and wrecked into a fence " Im think bull****!!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Clarkson is a moron, but he's a funny moron so we tolerate his writing.

Chill.

Rob

Old 06-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

12 years ago when my son was born, I got rid of this:
Name:  Yamaha.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  98.4 KB

I guess it scared me to think of not being here for him. A lot of guys go though the same feelings. Then when he was 8 I started looking at bikes again, and came across the 06 KLX.

I GOT OVER MY FEARS!!! Oh and $750,000 in insurance helps too.

But seriously, driving to the store everyday, or eating foods that are bad for you is a risk...heck arguing with your wife can be worse than riding without gear at all.

4 reasons people die on bikes. 3 of which we can control and 1 we can't.

1. Not enough experience (gained over time will help, and take the class) Also in this classification is riding according to weather conditions and taking the surface into consideration.

2. Not wearing the gear...ALL THE GEAR! Riding in shorts and no shirt is a no no!

3. SPEED SPEED SPEED!!! A huge percentage of riders hurt or killed are the result of riding faster than they should or beyond their skill or both.

4. This one we can't control. The person talking on their cell phone while driving. The idiot that thinks they can lane share with you. The old lady that has blue hair and is looking through the steering wheel to see. Actually its everyone that gets behind a wheel and drives a car. No matter how we talk and say "well I look out for motorcycles" I can count a few times when I just didn't see one, and it could have been bad.

So in conclusion, we all take risks, we all take precautions, and somewhere in the middle we have fun. Just be careful out there, and don't read the crap that the media and extremists write about what we all love to do.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

My stepfather got me my first street bike when I was 13-14...it was by no means a monster bike...it was a 1976 Honda 350CB...it took off from there... ...Now I'm extremely lucky to have a wife that loves ridin' her own bike as much as I do!!! We even involve our daughter...she only got on the back of the bike after I was confident in her being a good passenger and she was geared up from head to toe...we accept the risk any time we get on the bike...to minimize the risk on our side I've done both the BRC once and ERC twice...I've also became a sport bike instructor for the Air Force...I try to be a good mentor for those new to the sport...My wife and I also practice on the ERC/Sport bike coures...I even get up in front of the base quarterly to brief the cagers to watch out for bike riders...

Old 06-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

motorcycles are dangerous?

Quick Reply: Why You Shouldn’t Ride a Motorcycle