General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

What do you think about Lowjack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:32 AM
Default What do you think about Lowjack?

What do you guys feel about Lowjack? Has anyone had experience orbike recovery due to Lowjack? I had it on an 03 Nissan 350Z. The car was never stolen but I did drive out of state and Lowjack would call me just to make sure I was driving the car. To do a full system it is about $900

Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Default RE: What do you think about Lowjack?

I thought this was on here already, I posted it on s10forum. I think it would be helpful for trucks/cars/bikes.

New cell phones have the ability for the network to track the location of cell phones for "911" calls. This data is transfered through the digital network of the wireless carrier. This can easily be changed in your phones menu settings.

Things youll need:
a cell phone that you dont use, that supports Digital and Analog (most new phones)
the ESN or HEX number from the back of the phone
a cigarette lighter charger for your phone
wire (12ga works best)
zip ties
electrical tape
a good phone battery
ziplock bag

(Example phone: LG VX6000)
Step 1: On your phone, Go to the menu, select settings, select location, there should be menu that says "E911" and "Location On", select "Location On" or something similar. This displays Latitude, Longitude and Altitude of the location of the phone to andbody that requests it. This can be accesed even if your phone is not activated.

Step 2: Go through your phone and change any settings that would turn off or put your phone into sleep mode.

Step 3: Find a hiding spot where your charger can reach, that it would most likely not be seen.

Step 4: Find a 12 volt power source, this must me a power source that is always on (with the battery in obviously). I think there are 3 wires, you must connect the wires that are always on. The way you can tell is by testing the wires and making sure they charge the phone when the ignition is off. Once you find the "always on" wires, just splice the wires and run them to where you want to mount the phone

Step 5: Plug the charger into the phone and make sure everything works.

Step 6: Run the charger cables to an area where you can mount the phone. Make sure they are hidden from anybody.

Step 7: Make sure the phone is charging, and if it is, zip tie the charger cord to the phone and put a ziplock bag over it. Then mount the phone in an unseen area.

Step 8: Your Done!

If your bike is ever stolen, you have a few options:
1: Call the police and file a legit police report, make sure they know that you have a phone on the bike that has GPS abilities, and its setup for that exact reason to recover your bike if its ever stolen. Give them your ESN/HEX number, and it can be used LEGALLY by you or any police officer investigating the theft.
2: Call the phone carrier, give them the ESN or HEX from the back of the phone, and get Lat & Long from them. This can be inserted into any GPS or even Google Earth, and you will be able to see the location of the unit.
3: If you are a AAA member or even if you have roadside assistance enabled on your carrier, you can always call them to get the location for... umm... "Roadside Assistance"
4: Call Fugitive finder, 917-295-4425, they will find the phone to the nearest centimeter! They charge a few hundred dollars (may defeat the purpose), but it will save your bike

For those with GSM type phones (SIM Chip phones). They have IMEI numbers which are about 11 numbers long. Copy those down. GSM phones are avaliable with T-Mobile, most Cingular, Nextel, GO Phones (Prepaid), Boost Mobile (Prepaid), and Amp'd (I believe). If you have any of these companies, you most likely have an IMEI number instead of a ESN number. ESN numbers (non-SIM Chip phones) are with Sprint, Verizon, Tracfone, Virgin Mobile (Prepaid), and INpulse (Prepaid).

Also I would like to mention that if you DONT have a extra cell phone you can go buy a 20 or 30 dollar prepaid phone and dont buy minutes. It will act the same as a old post paid phone.

This has been done on many cars but dont know if anyone has tried it out on a bike yet so feel free to give it a go.

Basically, you wire up an old cellphone to your battery so it stays on all the time. Write down the serial number to the phone, and if the bike gets stolen, the cops can use the serial number to get a GPS location on the bike. Sounds plausible to me, as long as the phone is reliable and the thieves don't find it.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

my scorpio alarm has the remote kill feature if your bikejacked and if it's parked you aint getting it out of there discretly, plus it pages you when someone messes with it. it's cheaper then low jack. just throwing it out there for ya since your talking secerity

Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice write up 1low. My custom alarm has some kind of puddy with a wire that goes....BOOM!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

c4 anti jack. lol i use the same one with a 44mag remote

Old 02-01-2008, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

HD can you explain your remote kill some more it sound cool , i was thinking of getting that scorpio, any negitive side?

Old 02-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

the remote kill is an option, i have not bought that option yet. but theres a few different options you can buy for it. they cost seperatly from the alarm itself. negitive side? there is none. go to there website and check it out. www.scorpioalarms.comthe i500 is what i got. the pager part is the best, it pages you when somebody is messing with it so if you silence the alarm siren on the bike they don't even know your coming[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 02-01-2008, 09:24 PM

sim #= (its tied to the account, sim is the brain of the phone, holds memory)
IMEI = phone equipment number
HEX = I dont know but I'm guessing its like the ESN or DEC.
(HEXes,ESNs,DECs are for phones that dont have a sim card)

I have the number for Law Enforcement but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give it out.