General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Vinyl kits for motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Vinyl kits for motorcycles

Ok so one of my buds is looking to get a bike again and he has a friend with a 2003 CBR that has been laid down. now we dont know how bad a shape its in yet but my buddy is researching all his options for repairing it Ie paint and stuff like that OK question is does anyone have and experience with vinyl kits for sportbikes? here is an example of what im tlaking about. CLICKY I know you guys wont disappoint me here HELP ME GET A FELLOW RIDER BACK ON THE ROAD BTW the guy is gonna let my buddy have it if he pays it off and he only owes like 1300 on it so we think it might be pretty bad but i told him as long as the frame, forks and swingarm are good it should be a good deal it only has 8000 miles on it!

Old 07-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Vinyl kits for motorcycles

Hopefully that will work out to be a good deal..

I helped a buddy of mine a couple of months ago, put the flame decals on his zook. Pretty easy to do. A little soap and water and a squeege. Sprayed the soap and water on, lined up the graphics, they slide with the soap solution, then squeege it all out. Perfect, with no bubbles.. Is that what you were wanting to know?

Old 07-26-2006, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

well the vinyl kits on that site actually cover the whole fairing its kindof like a coverup if you dont want to repaint or replace plastics. I'm just wondering if anyone migth know someone who has used them and if tey are worth it or not cause if they are just gonna come off in a couple months or a year then he's probably gonna look into replacing the plastics. Thank again everyone!

Old 07-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

If I think way, way back to my days working for a sign company.......if you made a mistake and scuffed the vinyl with something, it would scratch.

So I would assume that it would start to look pretty crappy after awhile. I've seen cars with decals on the hoods and the decals were scuffed up by rocks etc.....

I don't know for sure how they'd hold up but thats just my 2 cents. Check with MK, a while back he helped a buddy do something like that with a car.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks BB guess i'll have to wait till Mk gets back online.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

mk went gay and hes never coming back

yes that vinal will scratch easy, it will also become brittle in time and chip, just like paint, kinda like a sticker on a car window that starts to crack. in my honest opinion i would not do a complete sticker like that. it would be more benaficial to just spray paint the damaged body and a hell of alot cheaper too. even with the vinal car kits, same thing, you wash it, it gets weaker, scratches easily and becomes brittle and a pita to try and remove. for 3 cans of spray paint and some bondo to fill in any deep gouges hell be much better and happier only spending 20 bucks.

or e bay ??