General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Thinking on first bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Dismiss all bikes that are in the supersport category (CBR600RR, ZX-6R, GSX-R600, etc..). You are not ready for them and each are equivalent but are chosen out of rider preference. As stated before this is not a bash but just here to help. We want people to enjoy riding as much as we do but that also includes saving those from early deaths!

I know how I was at 16 and I would have put myself in situations real quick that would end up with my six feet under. I ride a 650R at the moment and it is my first bike but I was 25 when I got her. That bike is very powerful and extremely fast and if it wasn't for my maturity that I have since I'm older it would have been a bad decision as a first bike too.

Best thing is to get the gear, take the MSF course, and if still interested find a little beater street bike. The first couple of seasons are going to consist of just getting comfortable on the bike and learning to ride. After that then buy the bike you want and then you will have the skills to actually enjoy it too!!

Remember its the same principle as not to give a 16 year old a corvette for his birthday. We all know the kids that got the nice fast rides in HS and we also remember that they all were wrecked!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Motorcycling is in large part, a matter of "What" "How" "Why" and "When." You can be brilliant and intuitive with the what-to do, and how-to-do, and why-to-do. EXPERIENCE teaches the WHEN-to-do. There's no substitute for learning the "timing" and some counter-intuitive skills, other than EXPERIENCE.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Ooh. Yikes. Do I need my permit for the MSF?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm. I wouldn't know where to find a beaten motorcylce?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

beater*

Old 07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by A.Dagalea
Ooh. Yikes. Do I need my permit for the MSF?
Nope, you don't need one. And in many states, you can take the certificate they give you to the DMV, and get your M endorsment on your license.

As for beaters, Craigslist is your friend.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I checked Cragislist, but there aren't that many 250s out there? And plus, Me and my mom still need to talk about this whole motorcycle thing. Haha.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:54 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Yeah I checked Cragislist, but there aren't that many 250s out there
Because they are a nice bike and make a great learning tool. That is why I picked up the 500 instead. Cheaper than the 250 at the time.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh. I see.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zbike
Once you take the course and are still interested, your folks may realize you are serious about wanting to learn to ride
Good choice of words, a good rider is always learning. I have been riding for over a year and I am still learning. I recently took the MSF course with over 6 months riding experiance, and passed with flying colors, I learned alot and met alot of great people, but there were still skills they they taught me there that I am trying to master. And when I got off the Eliminator 125 and got back on my ZX-7 it was like a completely different bike, I noticed things about how it handled that I have never noticed before. And even though I didnt have a single deduction on my skills test and had the second fastest time through the turns, when I went out riding with my friends I can tell that I have a long way left to go before I truely learn to ride a streetbike.

On a side note, choose your friends wisely. My friends love to ride and ride because it makes them happy not because they look cool, and I have learned alot from them. Then when I went riding with another group of guys who have been riding for years, they seemed to be crawling through the turns. I assumed they were just taking it easy since it was at night, but it turns out not one of them knew how to lean, but they all knew how to wheelie. I havent rode with them since. Ride with some friends who are true riders and you will be able to burn any squid, even if your on a 250.

Keep us posted on the negotiations.

Quick Reply: Thinking on first bike