General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Thinking About Stepping Up to a ZX-10R...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Thinking About Stepping Up to a ZX-10R...

Yo!!!

Well currently I have a 650R. Love the bike especially how she handles but think I outgrew her. And no I do not mean "outgrew" by terms of power and speed!! I am quite tall and lanky so looks like I'm a big kid on a little boys big wheel haha!

Yesterday I went to my cycle shop and sat on some of the new '08 and '09 models. I was still quite big for the 600's with the only difference of the more aggresive seating position. I sat on the ZX-10R and it did feel right. When I stand flat foot the bike is still right under me instead of my *sack* being 4 - 6" from the seat like on my 650R.

I like the 600 cc class of sportbikes due to them being really quick and nimble. I do enjoy the twisties. From what I heard going to the litre bikes is bad in terms of twistie riding. Is this correct in terms of the ZX-10R?

I have been reading reviews on the 10R and alot of the articles state it is a nimble bike. From what I read seems like a beast that is worth the buy. The dry weight of the bike is almost identical to the 650R with the 10R just being "bigger" in overall size.

I do want something with more pull though at mid to high range since the 650R power is mid range and goes so quick so you have to bounce through the gears so much to stay in your power range. I'm also looking at the 10R to be my street bike and where I live its flat so its more comfortable to have the displacement.

So what is the thoughts of the community on this transition and the 10R?

Also please no B.S. in this thread about this bike is too much power. If you are all about your 250 then keep it to yourself. I know throttle control and am mature about riding. I don't f*@k around on the streets. I am planning on building a track bike to lose myself in the insanity where your supposed to do it.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I think the 10r sounds like a good fit for you. I like the new CBR a little better, but they are both bad-***. I plan on going to a liter bike when I have the money (aka finish school). I respect your experience, and understand the reasoning. If you like the quicker bikes, look at the gsxr 750 as well because it is a mix of the two. For that matter, did you try the ZZR 600? It is quite a bit quicker than the 650, but it is larger than the newer 600s. If I were buying a new 100 today, it would be the Fireblade. The newer 1000s are not much heavier than the 600s, so I don't think that the difference in the corners will be that huge. Thats my opinion, and hopefully you will not be bothered by our know-it-all members who think they are smarter than everyone else. Good luck bro...

Old 12-08-2008, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

all i can say about the 10r is youll like it

and i believe its only to much power if you use it wrong... i personally have been eye ****ing the ones at local dealers myself, and would get one as a self christmas present but currently dumping like 3-5K in my car

if you do go with it (sounds like you should) then have fun with it, and expect to grin from ear to ear the first time you open it up since youre getting off a 650 for it

Old 12-08-2008, 07:20 AM
1st Gear Member

dimes are good fun.

they can be a little slower in the twisties.. yes. i used to whoop up on 1K gixxers all day on the mountain nasties in maryland, but once the road straightened out, they waved to me as the passed. lol

not saying the 10 isn't incapable by any means of performing well whilst leaned.. my *** whippins i handed out was partly due to me being a better rider as well, but, having all that power leaves you thinking more while exiting corners. lol

i've ridden 1000's set up for track and twisty action and they feel the exact same as a 600 would. it's ALL in the setup. trust me.

all in all, i've beat and BEEN beated by various liters on variuos roads. setup and confidence, brother.. setup and confidence..

the dime is damm good fun tho.

nothing like 120mph wheelies

in just 2nd gear

Last edited by whitehendrix; 12-08-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

If you're experienced on a 650 then a litre bike is the logical next step. In a few years you'll probably come back down to a 650 as it's all round more practical, but you've got to learn that for yourself and you should take the time out to master a more powerful bike anyway.

Personally I see litre bikes as being of more use for 2-up and easy highway cruising than for twisties. To give you the experience but keep the fun factor, look at Aprilias or Ducatis; V-twins rather than I-4s.

Rob

Old 12-08-2008, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

The 10R is a monster. I also have been eye f*@k#$% it for quite some time. Just gorgeous!!

Well I am not a fan of Suzuki due to the fact I think they are the ugliest looking bikes on the road......just damn fugly!! The 1000RR is badass but just biased and all about Kawi. Honda's are too expensive for what they are just cause of the name.

I have a parallel twin and like the torque it delivers but not a fan of V-Twins at all. Yes they have torque but such a small rpm range and just bog down. I want the inline 4 due to how it responds and delivers the power. I like mid and high rpm power especially when tearing up the twisties.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you looked at the Yamaha's? Those are really smooth bikes. I have a Kawi 636. Love it but want more power.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

more power sounds good but take it from me the 600's have a more useable power range if ur riding twisties. ive owned a zx10 and went back to a 600. if all you wanna do is triple digits down the freeway the 10 has all you need.