General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

tell me why boots are better than sneakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Default tell me why boots are better than sneakers

Okay so I am new to riding, and have only really spent time on a dirtbike. But I am planning on getting a street bike (Ninja 250), and I really like the idea of riding in sneakers, mainly for comfort and maneuverability. But I know that hard boots are recommended. However,I am wondering how much additional protection they provide. To me, it seems like the boots would bethicker and harder, providing better resistant against impacts and scraping in an accident. But I wonder if the difference over sneakers is enough for me to wear bootsall the time evenif I hate riding in them.

Any information or personal experience you guys can share on this would be appreciated... right now I am shopping for my gear

Old 03-19-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: tell me why boots are better than sneakers

the most important aspect of a riding shoe is that it doesn't come off untill you take it of intentionally.

sneakers tend to be worn losely and can and do come off easily then you're bare foot is dragging on asphalt.

the second is ankle support, padding, coverage. high top sneakers will stay on when laced up and they will provide some ankle support and coverage to protect your ankle bones from rubbin on the pavement. they also protect from the bike falling on it to a certain extent.

steel toed leather work boots are durable, stay on, have protectiong from impact and abrassion

actual riding boots offer all that plus usually more flex int he ankle for shifting, more heel padding incase you do summersaults and slam the back of your heel into something, and usually more shin protection.

they may also provide replacable skid plates, rubber shifter pads, waterproofness for rain, lighter weight, ergonomicly designed for the riding possition, etc.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

check out some of icons less "track" looking boots that offer more relaxed fit and apearance but better coverage than normal shoes.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

if u crash like i havein sneakers( long time ago) it's all bad bro. i went down on the freeway the bike instantly landing on my ankle. snaping it like a twig. i slid for about 30 yards with the bike on top of my leg and the weight of the bike on my shoe against the pavement my shoe was almost competely grounded off. my ankle was worse then road rashed it looked like it was held up to a bench grinder.[:'(]hows that for ya?

Old 03-19-2008, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

ouch hoe -

Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM

wow, didn't take long to get a response. Thanks, guys. I will look into some solid riding boots. I was looking at something more comfortable, like a low-cut casualleather boot, but from what you are saying that doesn't sound much better than sneakers because of the lack of ankle protection.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

don't f*ck around get some good boots man you won't regret it.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Ever seen pictures of someone that has gone down and had their ankle ground down to the bone and the bone ground down. Not a pretty sight. If your willing to drag your ankle at 50mph across pavement bareskin then feel free to ride in something without ankle coverage. A decent pair of riding boots is cheap, comfortable, and they look good. I got some Icon street ones, and some sidis if I'm not going to be walking around too much.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:25 PM

I'd say that pretty much covers it

Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's the final word in above ankle protection.

**Warning Graphic**

http://www.medscape.com/pi/editorial...o-04.fig13.jpg

Quick Reply: tell me why boots are better than sneakers