General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

STAR school? Track day? Anything?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default STAR school? Track day? Anything?

Hey folks. So I've read plenty of books on better motorcycling. Learned what I can from friends who ride. What about schools? Has anyone experienced a school that's not rediculously far from Southern California? I read Jason Pridmore's book and I'm really tempted to sign up for a class when I can get the money together. What is involved from a novice rider's perspective? Thanks!

Old 11-11-2006, 03:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: STAR school? Track day? Anything?

The schools prolly close to you are, have been Vegas, pahrump, and willow springs I believe.
I signed on with OMRRA when I first started in Oregon. Jumped into club racing off the get go with no Track Days to my name. Took the required classes, made sure the ride was prepped for their specs.
Novice perspective for me was: Jitters/butterflies everytime hitting the track, checking my rides integrity, and then showing on the grid. I thought I was a good street rider but was humbled by getting lapped! HAHAHA, by 8 riders no less. Hmmm, learning and talking with the riders was really helpfull. What lines, throttle, setup, etc. Extremely helpful in fact. Everytime on the track has the adrenaline rushing, final ride checks, memorizing my lines, playing the track over and over in my mind. Frickin awesome feelings!
Most orgs. require a Novice to get certain amount of points in order to graduate. A good rider (street rider) will do that in 2 or 3 events.
I plan on doing AFM stuff this year as a Novice. Hope to see you out there having fun.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

YEAH, WHAT HE SAID i use to hit up willow. good times. check into track days and just show up or sign up to meet with a group thats going. word of advise, dont ride your bike to the track, truck it. you never know.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

What evil said. truck it if you are able. Shiits and Griins though on a good weekend.