General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

..is spray paint okay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default ..is spray paint okay?

I don't have $500+ to spend on a plain, matte black paint job so I've heard many suggestions of just spray painting the bike.

The guy who I bought my bike from decided to spray paint the exhaust for some reason-bright red. The paint rubs off when the exhaust is hot enough so that will come off, I know. I'll post a picture..but I'm embarrassed by the colors, honestly. He primed some of it too. I don't know what he was thinking, but I just want it matte black. If anyone has any tips on spray painting the bike, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Kristina

Attached Thumbnails ..is spray paint okay?-bike.jpg  
Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

if you are going to do it yourself take all the plastics off (don't want to get any overspray on the engine or tires) put a coat of primer and then your flat black...if you have a garage or access to one you can make yourself a paint tent with plastic sheets to keep the dust off while the paint dries...

Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Looks like that's not the ONLY thing he spray painted red. Maybe the paint was on sale.
(Just be glad he didn't buy some of those red motorcycle tires!!!)
I would probably focus on getting rid of the red on the non-body parts (i.e. engine, frame, etc.) as well. If you're wanting to use spray can paint on your plastic, there are some guys on here who can probably help.
Nothing to be embarrassed about! We're glad you have a bike to ride!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

as far as the engine you can get a paint stripper (gel kind) and brush it on the engine and exhaust...just make sure it doesn't get on any rubber or plastic surfaces...or skin... ...no reason that you can't do a nice job for under 200$$$

Old 04-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Its certainly different. Looks like he got over spray on some of the plastics. Try Lacquer Thinner on the plastic. Hit it with a rag and then a dry rag, see if that takes it off. Its not a bad looking bike though, just needs a little detailing.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Ok I just looked at the picture again, and dude didn't he even try and cover the wheels?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

May want to check on legality of no turn signals. Don't want to see you get a needless ticket.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:50 AM
1st Gear Member

To answer every reply at once...

Yes, must've been some kind of 'if you can carry the red spray paint out of the store-it's yours' kind of sale. I didn't realize 'til after I bought it that the pegs had some paint on them as well. He sure wasn't shy with it...

And thanks for the tips. I bought some spray paint earlier tonight and I read sometime today that I should switch out the little spray cap part every now and then to reduce paint build up for a nice, even coat. Or put it in paint thinner to remove the paint, then reuse the tip.

And the blinker issue? Yeah, you're right on about that. The blinkers are in a box, along with several cans of primer he generously gave me.

I'm kind of glad it looks the way it does because like I said earlier-there's room for improvement and now I can make it what I want it to be..which is just plain and nice. Nothing fancy. It's gonna match my helmet I ordered as well, so I'm looking forward to receiving that in 2 weeks. A helmet that actually fits-yayyy.

I'm so glad I joined a forum where people are here to help and all-thanks guys!

Kristina

Old 04-30-2009, 07:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh, and about the engine. The paint kind of just rubs off when it's pretty hot. (Luckily it didn't come off on my skin when I decided to walk into it yesterday. Left a nice little burn...)

Someone suggested pressure washing it? I don't know-I just want it totally OFF! :P

Old 04-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Just DON'T pressure wash if the engine is hot! The water temp could (will) shock the metal and bad things will happen.
Sorry about the burn!

Quick Reply: ..is spray paint okay?