General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

speed chart

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default speed chart

a while back we had a thread going, that had a chart showing the actual speed of the 636. the reason why i'm looking for it is because i want to use it in court. a few weeks ago i got a ticket 80 on a 55. chp bike cop rolled up on us and pulled us both over. but the cop was nice and he put 70 on a 55. so if i had that chart i could show the judge our actual speed since the officer put down 70, i may be able to get off on a lesser fineor even dismiss the case... so does anyone remember or know where i could find that chart? i would be very thankfull....

Old 10-27-2005, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: speed chart

ooopppsss sorry

Old 10-27-2005, 09:09 AM

I'm not sure if you'll be able to swing that... because the officer didn't use your speedometer to measure that "80" or "70"mph. He used his, or a radar gun, or whatever. It would just show that if the officer measured your speed at 70, you would have actually had an even higher number on your speedometer... Probably not a good thing to bring up if you're trying to say you thought you were driving slower...

Of course... you might be able to fool them, but... I don't know if I'd chance it.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

ya you might be right.... i guess it's a fine regardless....[&o]

Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Well you could always say you want to know the last time the radar gun was calibrated. I've heard of people getting off for that. I don't know if you want to try it though. It could be worst in the long run.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:10 PM

Each State is different on what you can 'demand' as proof of the accuracy of the 'gun'. Most PD's have the info ready, though you can get bit back hard if you try to play sh!tty with them though. A lot depends on the judge, too. He might be a rider and inclined to hear some bs story about the sun bing in your eyes and it being hard to read the numbers on the speedometer without having your eyes off the road for an unsafe amount of time since you'd just been almost run off the road by an inattentive driver and you were scared........whatever...on the other hand he may be an old fart that thinks bikes are evil and he's looking for an excuse to slam you.....I always figure if I got caught and the cop was ok enough to write it for a lesser amount, I'll just be a big boy and take the hit. Don't get my started on the KY SOB that let the guy in front of me go, who was going faster since he'd just passed me, then pulled me, wrote me up, then hit me for not having proof of ins when the new ins card was home on my kitchen table - I was on the way home from July4th weekend at my parents, it was 7-05 and my card had expired 7-01, and he wrote me!! The tickets got thrown out of court, but because those po-dunk idiots didn't process my info on time I got hit with court costs of $135.00!!!!

Ok....I feel better now....thanks....

Old 10-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

the officer was on a motorcycle and he was pacing us.... from way back so i don't know.... and of course i didn't see him cause i have no mirrors... [:@]

Old 10-27-2005, 10:56 PM

(Not only are we making friends but this site is also very theraputic)<~~~~poster announcement...LOL
ORIGINAL: petezzr

Each State is different on what you can 'demand' as proof of the accuracy of the 'gun'. Most PD's have the info ready, though you can get bit back hard if you try to play sh!tty with them though. A lot depends on the judge, too. He might be a rider and inclined to hear some bs story about the sun bing in your eyes and it being hard to read the numbers on the speedometer without having your eyes off the road for an unsafe amount of time since you'd just been almost run off the road by an inattentive driver and you were scared........whatever...on the other hand he may be an old fart that thinks bikes are evil and he's looking for an excuse to slam you.....I always figure if I got caught and the cop was ok enough to write it for a lesser amount, I'll just be a big boy and take the hit. Don't get my started on the KY SOB that let the guy in front of me go, who was going faster since he'd just passed me, then pulled me, wrote me up, then hit me for not having proof of ins when the new ins card was home on my kitchen table - I was on the way home from July4th weekend at my parents, it was 7-05 and my card had expired 7-01, and he wrote me!! The tickets got thrown out of court, but because those po-dunk idiots didn't process my info on time I got hit with court costs of $135.00!!!!

Ok....I feel better now....thanks....