General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Shcokingly, I have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Brilliant! We'll get along swimmingly then!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Apart from my comments on books in the other thread, get your gear before taking the MSF course.

Apart from the obvious safety issue, some people take a while to get used to wearing riding gear and it's best to start wearing it from day one so that you learn how to control the bike with it on.

Fit the sliders right away. You have a high risk of dropping the bike during the course. It's part of the learning process. You won't be going fast enough to hurt yourself, but it's no good fitting something to protect your bodywork after you've scratched it. They need to be fitted before. If you take the course on a hire bike (recommended), you still have a high risk of dropping yours in the first few days while you get used to it. Not getting the stand set right and watching the bike roll off it as you walk away is a very common error, so get the sliders fitted.

Wearing my instructor's hat, I'm going to disagree with Deej.

Don't ride along with your feet out. All the time the wheels are rolling you should have your right foot on the peg so that you can reach the rear brake. The explanation about correct braking can wait. You should also get immediately into the habit of riding with both feet on the pegs as soon as the bike is moving. Do this right away and you'll minimise the chances of confidence issues arising later and you won't have a bad habit to unlearn, which takes longer than learning to do it right in the first place.

You can practise feeling the bite point of the clutch by easing it out to feel the bite, pulling it in again, and repeating a few times with the bike held against the front brake. Ease it out past the initial bite point and you'll stall the motor. That helps you develop a good 'feel'.

Rob

Rob

Last edited by williamr; 10-31-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Rob. Got a couple of books, and am working on getting the gear now

As for the course, well, I spose I'll do the best I can. I don't have anyone that can show me, so hopefully I'll get an instructor that understands I'm not experienced really. *crosses fingers*

About the sliders- is there a particular "type" I'd need? I'm assuming the dealer would know what I'm talking about, but I'd like to not go in blind. I know nothing about this, but I'm working on finding an answer.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I didn't say ride around with your feet out, I said clutch walk. Trust me it works for new riders. I guess that's the Dual Sport/off road rider in me, but it gets a person used to balancing the bike, feeling the clutch engage and move the bike and it lets all of this happen without actually rolling too fast. Its just a first step in a longer list.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok first off, the MSF course is designed for the dumbest person alive. You will have no problem passing that class. (Although in my state I failed the motorcycle license test twice because I am too analytical and their questions are open ended and designed for one track minded people. Still don't have my license! )

Second, the MSF class I took went pretty slow as far as the outside practical experience aspect is concerned. They wanted to make sure everyone had a good understanding and at least a basic skill level before they would progress to another stage of the course.

You are going to get in this course and find that there are some really horrible riders out there and that you aren't one of them. LOL! There are people that are damn retards about bikes. The instructor could show them a hundred times and they would still fubar it. Its pretty sad. lol

There are going to be a lot more women than what you think in these courses too. I had about 10 chicks in my class.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

oh man, thanks for helping calm my nerves 636! I was getting anxious there!
I've decided I'm just gonna bite the bullet. I've got the itch waaay too bad to hold off for too long.

Analyzed my debt, and considering all I have is 500.00 furniture bill that will be paid off this month and a car payment, can probably get away with a low interest loan for half the bike or less (fixed interest, and I use USAA, so they're fab about not messing around w/ you). That way I can save up for half as a down payment and pay it off in no time. I'm still considering the intelligence of this choice.. but well, it's slightly fiscally responsible but still not requiring me to wait a billion years before purchasing. Still keeping my eye out for a used 250 but having an impossible time finding one- hence the financial voodoo above. Otherwise, it'd be cheaper. yes- I understand used is best but if it ain't there it ain't there. I'm gonna keep my eye out and I have some time bc it will take me a couple of mos. to save, but I've cx'd all my non-necessary things so I can save faster. :P

I've found some gear that isn't too expensive but isn't cheap enough to be of worry (yes, I was good and looked up reviews etc. esp. in the gear sect here.)

So first things first, gotta crawl before I walk. I'm going to read a bit and try to prep my mind for the course, although I'm not gonna wait too long.
Then, I'll sign up for the course and take that.
THEN I can think about actually getting the bike. and seeing how long, and what's reasonable for me!

Even though right now I just want to scream "I WANT IT NOOOOWWW!" I think "obsession" is the right term right now.

Baby steps

(Geeze, I just typed a damn life story there! Sorry... bored at work, and ready to go home!)
Y'all have been fabulous about helping me make sure i'm not a dumb### about all this!
<3

Old 10-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Even though right now I just want to scream "I WANT IT NOOOOWWW!" I think "obsession" is the right term right now.

hahaha, ya might spend some time with the BF before you take the test. WOW!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Too bad he's deployed. :P haha! Yeah.. I'm one of those people, once I'm set on something, well, that's about it. Trying to reign myself in at the moment!

Old 11-01-2008, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member

lol.. a good book to get in to is "Proficient Riding" by David L. Hough.. it also has a sequel, "MORE Proficient riding"

i learned ALOT armed with these books (8 years ago..) i've never even taken the MSF course, tho i do still suggest it..

a dirtbike is a badass way to get the feel for two wheeled motion.. if you drop it, all you'll do is maybe bend the peg a bit.. easy fit, tho.. and it's light enough to maneuver around.. don't jump on a 250 or anything.. get a small one.. an 80 or something up to about a 125 or so.. anything else may be too tall for you and create akwardness in that you're center of gravity is WAY higher than on a regular streetbike (or smaller dirtbike)

i got a buddy into riding, and i threw his big *** on my hond XR 50 (my stunt machine.. lol) he happily learned basic control whilst singing "fat guy on a little bike" quite amusing, BUT effective. he felt confident to practice on his brother's bike til he got his own..

the shifting and all that are identical between off-road and on-road machines. the only difference is that theres more gears to run thru on a street bike (sometimes.. lol)

it's no race.. take your time.. concentrate but BE RELAXED!! lol.. you've gotta be all loosey and go with the flow. being nervous and scared to move or whatever usually WILL cause you to lose control..

good luck, and a belated "welcome to KF!!!!" from me!

Old 11-02-2008, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

"I use USAA, so they're fab about not messing around w/ you".

FYI...they will not insure bikes.

For everything else, they are the best by far. Membership has its privileges

Quick Reply: Shcokingly, I have some questions...