General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Shcokingly, I have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Shcokingly, I have some questions...

So, I'm looking for the answers myself, but was wondering what your input was?

Any tips on how to prep for the MSC class ahead of time? Would like to absorb as much info as possible and keep the anxiety down... I know you can download I think two chapters of their book part, and I'm sure reading ahead of time helps. Any suggestions?

Any ideas on where I can learn more on the logistics of a bike? I know there's a lot more to it than just riding! Been reading a bit, but I'm not sure of what I don't know.. if that makes any sense...

Someone mentioned frame sliders. I had heard of them, and have been reading a bit today, but I'm getting a little overwhelmed.. apparently there's several mounts, types, etc... any input here?

Yeah, I know.. I'm a little eager. Just trying to process it all and be informed Thanks in advance. <3

Old 10-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Ok here is my take on the class that my wife and 4 other of our friends all took together. It was the beginners course, in other words it's designed to teach riders that have never been on a bike how to ride. WRONG!!! And I sort of anticipated that, so in preparation for the class, I taught my wife and the other riders some basics. The first thing I taught them was what I call the "clutch walk"

Do you know anyone with any bike, even a small 50-125 cc dirt bike? You need to learn to sit on the bike, start it, pull the clutch in shift down, and slowly let the clutch out till it starts to move the bike and use your feet on the ground to balance, and then just as it sounds, clutch in and out 20 feet at a time. Do this for a couple of hours. Learn to use the front brake as well.

That in itself will put you ahead of a lot of other people that end up in these classes that seem to expect you to already know how to ride. The beginners class was never designed for riders with any experience, but I think laziness on the part of some instructors has led some to end up getting hurt because the time was not taken to teach them basics. If you haven't rode a bike at all, and they ask for a show of hands from those who have rode, DO NOT RAISE YOUR HAND!. Good luck there.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm... I don't know anybody with a bike that isn't deployed right now! Damn..
Well. Hmmm.
I wouldn't have raised my hand anyways, but that's good to know not to! LOL

Yeah, I was told it's for people who are severe noobs like me. I'll have to see what I can do.
Thanks Deej. I'm a little anxious about it all, but I'll figure it out somehow!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

its been a few years since i took the course but they try to run you through the ringer in 4 days time. the clutch walk was part of the class, along with running over a 2x4 panic breaking and the sorts. hell its been a good 15 years since then. is there anyone near you that would be willing to show you some basics ?

as far as sliders go, wait till you take the course and get the bike, then accesorize it and do your shopping.

one step at a time, dont rush anything. it will come

Old 10-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

running over a 2X4..... try a 10" tree...... lol..... that course was a waste of my time. But im a dirt rider at heart, and have been riding forever... if all your doing is street.....take the course.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Was this: Shcokingly

Supposed to be: Shockingly?

Sorry that is just the OCD showing up again.........

Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

4 days? This was a 2 day course. No wonder they skipped the basics. LOL

Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
running over a 2X4..... try a 10" tree...... lol..... that course was a waste of my time. But im a dirt rider at heart, and have been riding forever... if all your doing is street.....take the course.

Hey aren't you supposed to be working? If you can goof off posting on the forums, then how about MSN Messenger? HUH? Git-R-Done

Old 10-30-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Was this: Shcokingly

Supposed to be: Shockingly?

Sorry that is just the OCD showing up again.........

yeah, mine kicked in- I had an argument in my head as to whether or not I should point out a flaw. The no side of me won... but yes, I did notice that! Thankfully, the brain is built to compensate for crap like that when you read. So, as long as the message gets across I'm golden.
Shcokingly... eeps..That's pretty damn funny though, or maybe just because I'm sleep deprived...

Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

You'll soon realize that....well......I'm just sick and have a lot of issues.

Quick Reply: Shcokingly, I have some questions...