General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Scariest Moment

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Default Scariest Moment

No accidents please, I had a whopper of an accidentand will discuss in another posting.

Scariest Moment:

Riding up the mountains in Colorado very steep grade. Posted speed limit 5 M.P.H and the were not kidding. As I am going up, theroad becomes a u-turn continuing up the steep mountain. As I make the turn androll the throttle, I realized I was in neutral(gulp),boy did I get that think into first really fast.[sm=headbang.gif]

BTW - NO GUARD RAILS

Old 07-26-2007, 12:33 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Scariest Moment

No accidents huh? Well I would say my scariest moment would be coming upt to a corner that was marked 15mph. I was really new to riding I came into it at about 20mph thinking I would be ok. it turned out to be a decreasing radius blind turn so it started off wide then got really sharp. I blew the corner and crossed over the double yellow and as I came across the blind turn there was a truck coming right at me. I made it back over the line but man I was so freaked out.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

My story: Was doing a 10 lap heat race on the zx7. Wasgoing toovertake a GSXR1100 just prior to the brake markers at around a buck 40. The rider heard me coming so he thought that he would be polite and move out of the racing line. Wrong! I take that corner wide since it is basically two turns but can be done with one nice arcing line. The sides of the rides collided, my entire rear section flew skyward without me knowing it. Massive tank slapper off the track, through the dirt runoff which lasted like forever but was only approx. a football field in length. Finally came back onto the track just to finish like 40th of 50 starters. On the cool down lap, T1 workers were holding up a tail section with my number on it! lol Almost pee'd myself on that experience.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Atleast your keeping the real fun on the track Dragone.

Mine lame but hey I'm still new.
I just looked over to see a Harley ( he didn't wave ) I looked up and the pick-up in front of me slammed on the brakes because the car in front of him made a last second turn. I grabbed both brakes so hard I whiskey throttled at the same time... Luckily all the years if riding mx I think helped my reflexes because I had the clutch pulled in way before I hit the brakes.....The lound rev scared me more than the truck did!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

driving home from work today in the worst downpour i have ever ridden in with winds that had me thinking i was driving into a tornado then at about 50mph hit a flooded road section about 6 inches deep. could hardly see at alland i almost crapped myself.[&:]

Old 07-26-2007, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

This is my first bike and after having it for a couple weeks I was out riding and a dog ran out in front of me as I crested a hill, and being new I grabbed the front brakes. When I crested the hill I was going about 50mph and locked the front wheel up and did my first stoppie. I felt the bike come up and I released the brake and felt the rear tire hit the ground, but managed not to drop the bike.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:48 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

way back in 90 something on my zx7, took off from my house, made a left on very cold tires, *** end came around, i tried to throttle out of it and did a mini hiside allmost into a pick up trucks mirror. managed to keep it all in order but my *** took some foam out of the seat that day.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Never had any "scary" moments, yet.

Once, some jackass ahead of me in the lane to my right didn't see me behind him as he made an abrupt left turn in order to not miss the parking lot he wanted to turn in.[:@] I hit the brakes hard, and stopped about two feet away from his driver side door. That's the closest call I've ever had. If I hadn't been paying attention, I would have ended up flying over his roof.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:50 PM

When i was in NC on the highway in the left lane with car in front and back of me and cars on the right, the guy just moves into my lane forcing me off the road into the grass median that had puddles of water that collected from the past two days of rain and up into the oncomming highway traffic i had to gas it again to get back to the other side where i was supposed to be in the first place. When i got back onto the highway the car that cut me off was long gone, My heart was pumping fast to say the least, now i avoid being boxed in to stay out of trouble.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:19 PM

I hit a wet section of highway that had only that black tar surface (you know how the gravel gets pressed through or worn off) doing 70 and the Nad started a skid to the right -it's happened before and if I don't panic it just straitens itself out. Well this time the back kept on comin' around so I countered it. Well, the big bagger had its momentum going back to the left and kept going that way until I countered it. As the rear swung back around to the right I was running out of road -which curved to the left. I counter steered one more time and the big boy straitened out as I got to the shoulder, where ironically there was more grip. So I gave the left grip a shove just in time to steer the Nomad back onto the highway.

Usually thing like this happen so fast it's over before you think about it, but with this one I had time to think, "This could be it".

I never let off the throttle or touched the brakes, which is probably why I did't finish the crash.

My number just wasn't up that day.

Quick Reply: Scariest Moment