General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Riding in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Riding in the rain?

Besides the road being slippery, bike getting all muddy, is there any effect on the bikes performance when the water hits the engine hard and chances of stalling? thanks

Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

The engines are supposed to be watertight, but water intrusion is a reality if you spray the engine with high-pressure, such as at a car wash. If it stalls when riding in the rain, you have an intake leak somewhere.

I always worry about that cool water hitting my hot exaust pipe and engine case, but having driven home in 2 hard rain storms now with not as much as a hiccup, I stopped thinking about it.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

only way rain will severly damage an engine s if youre riding after the rain, the engine's running hot and you hit a big puddle, soaking the block. that or if it gets in the intake and the engine's at a very low temp/off

other than that you should be ok

Old 09-18-2008, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll just try not to ride in the rain, thanks.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Ridden hot engines through floods and cold ones through torrential rain. The only issues I've ever had are electrical. Wet electrics can cause the bike to cut out. Nowadays I take my new bike and spray the HT side of the electrics and anything else that looks vulnerable with WD-40, and I repeat the spray every few weeks until the bike's about a year old. By them everythings so soaked in WD-40 that is well waterproofed. On this bike (ER-6f) I've had no problems despite a lot of riding in heavy rain.

Be aware that your brakes may not work too well if they're wet, although the current fashion for drilling holes in the rotors gets over the worst of the problem.

The engine contains hot water under high pressure. Of course it's watertight. Just don't get a lot (and I mean a lot) of water down the throttle bodies or carbs, or you can get a hydraulic lock in the cylinder and jack the head off. That might be a folk tale though - I've never seen it happen.

Rob

Old 09-18-2008, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

you pretty muhc have to submerge the bike up to the headlight to get enough water into it to hydro-lock the engine. if you have any lose electrical connections you might have some odd running behavior. otherwise just increase your stopping distance, be gentle ont he brakes and take it easy in the turns and you will have no problems with rain.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I ride in the rain all of the time...never had any problems.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I ride in the rain all the time. What gets me is the stink of the funky street water cooking off the pipes...

Old 09-19-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shinobi636
I ride in the rain all the time. What gets me is the stink of the funky street water cooking off the pipes...
lol...it does stink

Old 09-19-2008, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Any street bike has been designed to handle rain conditions. Do not worry about it cause like what others have stated the only time you can have problems if your in a situation like going off the road and into a lake!

I know that most owners manuals recommend not to wash your bike with high pressure washers but I have and no problems. My bike and also my cars engine have gone through it multiple times. The seals are watertight and supposed to handle the internal pressures of the engine. The external pressures of a washer do not compare to what your internals see.

I only look for two things in regards to riding in the rain, a warm rain is nice but cold gets uncomfortable and downpours are fine while mistings make it hard to see out the faceshield. Other than that it's just like a car, slow down a little, give yourself more time between cars and for braking.

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain?