General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Quick Noob question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Default Quick Noob question

How far in advance should I call to set up my MSF course? I didn't take the written test at the DMV yet. Can I just take the test or do I need a regular California license first?(I'm from NJ) Thanks

Old 04-01-2006, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Quick Noob question

You can take the written test and get a permit, but can only ride during the day and not on the freeway day or night. I think a permit is good for a year. I would do that get some practice in, but if you know nothing bout the bike or riding sighn up for the class. jmo

Old 04-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Fremont250

How far in advance should I call to set up my MSF course? I didn't take the written test at the DMV yet. Can I just take the test or do I need a regular California license first?(I'm from NJ) Thanks
go to dmv and take the writen and call for classes asap....

Old 04-12-2006, 01:31 AM

I just signed up for the MSF course for May 11th. I'm going to get my permit within a week.Does anybody know if I can register and insure a bike with just the permit?

Old 04-12-2006, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

you can do both without a licience or a permit, but you can't ride it though.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

I just signed up for the MSF course for May 11th. I'm going to get my permit within a week.Does anybody know if I can register and insure a bike with just the permit?
ya you could reg and insure the bike..... and you could ride with a permit, but it's limited to what you could do.....

Old 04-12-2006, 04:22 AM

ya with the permit you can't ride at night or on the freeway

Old 04-12-2006, 04:59 AM

ORIGINAL: frrogger1

That's fine. I have very little experience. I just wanted to know if I could slap plates on it and ride around my apartment complex parking lot and get a feel for the bike. Maybe go up and down the block a little. I don't want to ride until I take the course and learn how to.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:05 AM

That's fine. I have very little experience. I just wanted to know if I could slap plates on it and ride around my apartment complex parking lot and get a feel for the bike. Maybe go up and down the block a little. I don't want to ride until I take the course and learn how to.
once you start riding it though you will have a hard time wanting to stop...that up and down the block may turn into 2 or 3 blocks then miles.......lol

Old 04-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

once you start riding it though you will have a hard time wanting to stop...that up and down the block may turn into 2 or 3 blocks then miles.......lol
sooo very true....

Quick Reply: Quick Noob question