General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Question about gear...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 06:08 AM
Default Question about gear...

Are the mesh/fabric jackets protective at all? I really should get a jacket, but really can't afford good leather. I found some "affordable" fabric jackets in the new Dennis Kirk catalog for around $160 or so. I was just curious if these offer any protection at all in a fall. I put affordable in quotes because if I stretch my budget for 2 months I might be able to afford one of those. I already have AXO fabric pants with a kevlar weave from riding my dirt bikes and 4 wheeler, but obviously a riding jersey wont help against pavement, so I need some upper body armor. Of course, Im still gonna look a little silly with a motocross helmet on a street bike, but hey, It'll keep my brain in my head and my face in one piece (especially living in one of the most stubborn states in the country when it comes to helmets, N.H. I swear more than half the riders around here would rather be shot than wear a helmet) Anyway, any comments are appreciated.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Question about gear...

dude, ICON makes a very good mesh jacket. it's padded pretty good with titanium threads. i went down with the jacket, and it held up like a trooper..... the price wasn't too bad either.... hope you find one you like.... ride safe brother...

Old 08-30-2005, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Hey motocross or not I would wear it if it was all that was available. Check ebay for jackets and other gear. Get what you can now and trade up later.

Gear up and arrive alive.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:41 PM

Thanks. Yeah it was ICON that I was looking at. Or at least that was one manufacturer I saw. Now I just need to scrape the cash together to get it.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

i think you'll be happy with that... i'am... just make sure the jacket fits snug.. or any jacket you get....

Old 08-30-2005, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

I have a textile jacket. I love it! Mind you I wouldn't mind having a nice leather someday but after paying for the bike, bike course, license, registration, etc. etc......didn't have enough to spend on a leather. Mine has a removable liner which is a nice feature. The armour is also removable. My jacket is a Rhyno (there are pics of it in my gallery too) - here is a link to it the manufacturer http://www.kimpex.com