General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Possibly Kawasaki's ugliest bike ever!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Possibly Kawasaki's ugliest bike ever!

I don't mind radically different motorcycle designs, In fact I love the look of Kawasaki's new Z1000. But seriously, who at Kawasaki was on the crack pipe when they came up with this design?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...858&Page=1

Old 06-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Default RE: Possibly Kawasaki's ugliest bike ever!

I have recently rejoined motorcycling after about a 15 year absence. I have always had sport type bikes and roadraced for a couple of years in the late 70's (yeah, I'm that old). Things sure have changed in those few years.

It seems like the industryis developing a complete sub-category aimed atthis UGLY "supermotard" look, which almost values strange fenders, wierd little fairings and all kinds of other pieces that are supposed to address this "adventure touring" segment. Some early forms of these bikes came with tires suited for on-road/off-road use, but newer models have become more oriented towards pure road.

But I agree that this Versysis ugly. It looks as if the "designers" jacked it up a bit to give it a slight motocross look (check the angle of the swingarm and rear fender clearance). But they will sell them. Just like the Pacer and Gremlin automobiles.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey 2006, you're not that old.....or maybe I am and just don't realize it yet. (?)
I think the designers are just keeping up with the perceived market "Jones'"
Here's my theory: A few guys in a metropolitanarea with buddies in the motorcycle industry start tinkering with their bikes just like most of us do. They come up with a few "parts bin specials" and start riding them around. A few more guys copy in to the look with their bikes. Boys will be boys; theybegin to race each other on localstreets and tracks, and get noticed by more influential motorcycle industry types. {Hmmm, maybe there's a market out there for a "different look" and we can make some money on it depending on how quickly we can get something out there---they think.} So, as usual, the industry follows the perceived "fashion" and we get things like the Pontiac Aztec and Super Motard (or is that
"retard") bikes. One company follows another company, because "hey, we can't be left out." Especially when there's possible money to be made.
Me? I agree with you; why put those stupid little wheels on essentially a dirt bike?Sorry; I'll keep my old Husky 400 with knobbies, thank you, and ride it in the dirt. (I told you, you aren't that old!)
Take heart, the Aztec is dead. The Super (Re)tard is just a genetic mutation destined to extinguish itself.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Uhhhhh......... yeah ........what he said ........it looks like chit on a stick . That thing is uglier than a mudfence !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:35 PM

Looks like they put something together to compete or say they have one that is comparable to the yamaha fz6, honda 599, or suzuki sv650. It's a middle weight sport tourer supposedly. Go down to the dealer and really see how it looks. Almost like a dirt bike with cheap fenders, fairings.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

yea thats pretty dam gay

Old 06-17-2007, 01:25 AM

Don't like its look much myself either. They say its a sport-touring bike and looks to me more like a hybrid of a dirt bike and sport bike and somehow the combination just doesn't seem to work. I've seen much uglier bikes though.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks to me like they're trying to compete with the SV650 again. Poorly...

Old 06-17-2007, 05:14 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Get rid of that no face looking light system. Dang....Otherwise I may like it.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

If they redid the headlight it would look better.... buti like it, id get one. For all of you guys diss'ing supermoto bikes, you take a good rider on a bigger supermoto (600 ish) he would smoke you sport bikes in the twisties.... not flat out..... they are really fast, alot lighter than sport bikes......

Quick Reply: Possibly Kawasaki's ugliest bike ever!