General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Off road vs. on road riding boots?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Off road vs. on road riding boots?

Since this forums seems to have a bunch of members from either end of the sport and I'm sure many of you do both. I was wondering how a pair of boots for riding off road compares with a pair for on road. I've owned motocross boots in the past and they seem like they would offer a lot of protection for riding on road as well. But, I'm wondering if there are features specific to each type and what those features are that make them better suited for their marketed usage.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:08 AM
1st Gear Member

When I took up road riding I bought a pair of Sidis principally because I felt that the footprint (sole size) was a bit too big even though they were both 42 Euro size.

gammac

Old 12-11-2008, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Off road boots tend to be taller, heavier, offer more protection from hard impacts and tend to keep your ankle more isolated than street boots. As a rule the soles are usually smooth to assist the foot in sliding while planted. It's been my experience that they aren't real waterproof and will allow a fair amount of moisture in. Typically off road guys tend to only walk from where they put the boots on to where the bike is sitting, so there is little thought given to designing them to be comfortable anywhere but on the bike.

Street boots are typically more compact, lighter, offer protection from sliding/scraping in critical areas and allow more range of motion. The soles are usually designed to assist the wearer in getting traction so that the wearer won't slide while the foot is planted. Street riders usually find themselves having to walk around a bit while in the boots so some thought is given to making them somewhat comfortable to wear while off the bike, although I'm sure that statement would be subject to the wearer's tastes and the type boot it is. I.E. a pure road racing boot would offer far more protection and is probably less comfortable than say a tourer or cruiser specific boot would.

While we're discussing this...

My off road choice is easy and simple for me; Alpine Stars. Best off road boot I've found, though I like the looks and hear good things about the high end Gaerne too.

For street use I'm still baffled. I guess I'd be more in the tourer/cruiser class than sport touring or sport bike/road race class. Having said that, I've looked at some Diadora's and a few others but wouldn't you know it, right now I'm having a brain cramp trying to remember brand names. At any rate, I'd prefer a slip on, or zip up style as opposed to a lace up and my tastes tend to go more conventional as opposed to the swoopy road race type or the clunky Harley style waffle stompers. I need something I can walk in, something fairly water resistant and something with an oil and slip resistant sole that offers reasonable protection. So far I've been using a good quality leather Justin roper style boot. They're OK, but I'm looking to make a move to a more motorcycle specific boot.

Any suggestions?

Bruce

Last edited by RDY2GO!; 12-11-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, as mentioned. Moveability and what you as a rider prefers is key.

Fox on the dirt was kinda clubby feeling but felt safe. Sidi for the track ride makes me feel comfy and is better to walk in the pits with.