General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

New bike won't idle how to fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Default New bike won't idle how to fix

I am a beginner rider and I just got the kawa 250 ninja back late october. I rode it around a few times in the in the neighborhood to get comfortable but I did drop it twice trying to go up the hill. That is what I am trying to build more confidence on. However, i put the bike away for the winter. Now that I charged the battery up and followed my instructions in starting up the bike, I put the bike on choke for about 3 minutes and after that the bike just dies. It doesn't idle. At first I thought not enough battery power but I have already fully charged it. Not sure if I should take it back to the dealer or how to fix this. I would appreciate any feedback. I really want to get better on the bike but afraid to ride it if it doesn't idle.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New bike won't idle how to fix

First thing I would do is drain all the nasty gas out of it. (If it has a carb(s) drain the bowl too.) Put in fresh gas. You might also want to change the plugs just for good measure, although it should need this (unless you've completely fouled them.
Recharge the battery and try again.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

more info plz are you choking to long, does it rev with no choke after say a minute, did you mess with your idle adjustment screw. if it will rev fine whith throttle it could be as simple as turning your idle speed up if it got jiggled when you dropped it

Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 PM

I choke it for about a couple of minutes. One thing I should mention is that when I do leave it running w/ the choke on, I hear some type of noise like something small is rattling somewhere. Itcomes and goes.I don't know if that is normal or not. Where do you adjust the idle at? The dealer forgot to give me the manuel and requested one but not sure when that will be in. I am really not good at anything mechanical. Should I have someone come over and help me or have it hauled over to a bike shop?

I appreciate the feedback.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:11 AM
1st Gear Member

+ 1 for Jeffs advice, that is where to start!