General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

MSF needs an overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default MSF needs an overhaul

I was reading through a prior post about somebody having to wait for almost a half year to take the MSF course. A half year?!!! To me, that is unacceptable to wait that long. Even I had to wait several months to take the course. The lady who signed me up said this class gets booked within a week or two after enrollment begins. And this is nothing new either. I always hear the new guys here say they want to take the MSF course, but it's all booked up where they live. Many people would surely say screw it, and just take the DMV motorcycle test instead. Or worse yet, just ride without a license. In doing this, they will miss an important opportunity to learn valuable lessons taught in the MSF course before they hit the streets. I guess what I'm trying to say is a course like the MSF should have more resources available (maybe even state funded) to be capable of meeting the demand of new riders wanting to do the right thing by signing up for this course.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: MSF needs an overhaul

so how do we go about fixing it? anyone have enough experience to be a teacher in your area? even once a year?

Old 07-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I've thought about it, but with work, family, fishing and riding the KLX, oh and hunting I don't really have time, besides in a town of 4000 with one stop light I don't think there is a real big demand. When I signed up the wife and two other couples back in August of last year, they still had to wait until October. We had to drive an hour to the class, and from what I heard most of the people taking the class were from Seattle coming over to the peninsula because all of the classes there were booked through the next year. I think if the state is going to impound bikes for riders without endorsements they had better have a plan in place to meet the needs of perhaps one of the biggest demands in motorcycle history.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I'd teach if MSF will recognize my experience.
I agree, how can you say safety first if there are only a couple classes a year.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Yup. I'm guessing you have to have a certain number of years riding experience to teach the course. I think it would be a great job if I were a bit older, and not working all the time.

Back when I took the course, the two teachers told me afterwords that I was the only student they didn't feel like they had to watch over, or correct. I can believe it too. All the other students were very noob-tastic. I had already been riding a while since I didn't want to wait for the course. (hmmm....)

Old 07-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

At the time, I just showed my race license, they said sheesh, you are not going to gain much with the course.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

None of the insurance companies have yet told me the MSF completion card will do any good for a rate discount.[:@] That's one of the main reasons I wanted to take the course in the first place.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

None of the insurance companies have yet told me the MSF completion card will do any good for a rate discount.[:@] That's one of the main reasons I wanted to take the course in the first place.
Saving money on insurance should be down on the list of why to take the class. It should go something like this.

Reasons for taking the MSF class.

#1 Staying alive.
#2 Staying alive.
#3 Staying alive.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

It should be an added bonus though.[>:]

Old 07-29-2007, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea I hear you, hey you could always move to Washington State where insurance is not required.

Quick Reply: MSF needs an overhaul