General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Motorcycle Safety Course

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Default Motorcycle Safety Course

Just a question for those out there that have taken the course....first off, Ive been riding bikes since I was 9 so I have a pretty decent idea of how to handle them, and once I got on the street bikes, I went to a parking lot to practice quick stops and evasive(sp??) maneuvers just in case. Those out there who have been riding then took the course, were you surprised at how much they taught you, or what you didnt know? I want to take the course, cuz you can never know too much, but Im just curious about what people who have been riding for a while thought of the course when they took it. Also there is a beginner and expert course avail. should I just goto the expert one, or start from scratch?

Old 02-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Default RE: Motorcycle Safety Course

Considering I was under the age requirement, I had to take the course to obtain my license.

The beginners course teaches you everything from scratch starting with how to turn the thing on to creeping with the clutch and ending in an exercise to take a bunch of turns at max speed 25mph. The class is divided into two parts though, a classroom section with a book, videos and teacher's dirty looks, etc. and a driving section. With that much experience you will probably be very bored on the range, however it is possible you may learn a few survival tricks from the class. I myself found I had used most of what was taught in the class within the first month of riding. (i.e. tailgating, lack of respect for cycle's right-of-way etc.)

Old 02-09-2006, 10:03 PM

You have to have a licences to go to the expert one. If you dont, then take the MSF course and see how u do. The written test is very easy and the riding is more technic that learning new things.(that is if you already know how to ride) I learned alot of things i was doing "wrong" But now i probably still do some. LOL Overall it was a good way to get your licences and get some seat time. In my opinon it is a must for anyone.

Now the expert one is pretty cool from what i heard. I plan on taking it. You get to use your own bike and even have a passanger.(with proper ins) I dont believe that the expert is needed as much as the MSF, but i am going to take it just for fun.(more seat time lol)

O yeah i have been riding since i was 19 (all street) and i just took the class last yr. (27) hope this helps

Old 02-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

I would imagine that you would gain some benefit from it. Things are different up here - in New Brunswick, we only have one course. First time I ever drove a bike was on the safety course, but I have used everything that they taught me. I am also still learning along the way (my dad has been driving motorcycles for many, many moons!) he teaches me little tips and tricks all the time.

If you really want to take the course, I'm sure you'll pick up something, heck, you'll probably meet some new friends along the way! I'd say go for it JD!

Old 02-09-2006, 11:44 PM

When I took the course, there were a few experienced riders in the class. They said they benefit from the class, so I guess Go For It!

Old 02-11-2006, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I would recomment the beginner course even if you have rode bikes for a while it will help you get out of those bad habbits you ride with and get you riding right again. Then after a few more months of riding then take the expert course.