General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

MotoGP: 2006 Ninja ZX-RR unveiled!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 05:35 AM
Default MotoGP: 2006 Ninja ZX-RR unveiled!

Nakano and de Puniet show off new colours
News, 31/01/06

Shinya Nakano and Randy de Puniet were back in green at Phillip Island today, as the Kawasaki Racing Team unveiled the new 2006 Ninja ZX-RR livery during the opening day of a three-day test at the Australian circuit.

Having suffered tyre problems during the race at Phillip Island three months ago, Shinya Nakano opted to run a new rear tyre from Bridgestone - with positive results - while he worked on refining the set-up of his all-new Ninja ZX-RR to suit the characteristics of the fast and flowing Australian circuit.

The 27-year-old Japanese rider experienced chatter from the rear end of his Ninja ZX-RR during today's test, but is confident that this is a problem that can be eliminated by his crew overnight.

“We tried different suspension and engine management settings on the bike, and we finished today with a good base setting on the bike,” said Nakano, who clocked his best time in 1’31.8. “There is still a small problem with chattering from the rear, but we think this is caused by a combination of suspension settings and the rear tyre, and we have some ideas on how to fix this for tomorrow.

We had some problems with the right hand side of the tyre during the race here last year, so today I tested a new rear tyre from Bridgestone that was much improved. We had to push hard today to do as many laps as possible, because there is some concern about the weather; it changes so quickly here. Hopefully it will stay dry for the tyre tests with Bridgestone over the next two days.”

For Nakano's Kawasaki teammate, Randy de Puniet, today was his first experience of the Phillip Island circuit aboard the Ninja ZX-RR. The 24-year-old Frenchman adapted quickly to the demands of wrestling a MotoGP bike around the twists and turns of the 4.448km Phillip Island track, but his attempts at a fast lap were hampered by the same chatter problems affecting his teammate. A switch to his second bike for the afternoon session eliminated the chatter problem, and allowed de Puniet to close to within 0.6s of his more experienced Kawasaki teammate during his final ten laps.

“This is a new circuit for me on the MotoGP bike, so today has been a steep learning curve again,” the Frenchman reckoned. “I had some chatter problems for most of the day, which we're still working to sort out, but I switched to my second bike in the afternoon, and this felt a lot better. It was on this bike that I set my fastest lap of the day. I think we will continue with this bike tomorrow for the tyre tests with Bridgestone. This is a very different circuit to Sepang, and I'm still adapting my style to suit aboard the Ninja ZX-RR, but I'm confident that my lap times will continue to improve over the remaining two days of testing.”

Source: MotoGP

[IMG]local://upfiles/1056/979BEB73EDB740E5AAF9C5B4328BD6BC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Default RE: MotoGP: 2006 Ninja ZX-RR unveiled!

Another pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/1056/340668D2FC9942A19E71E85ECB363EA0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

i like it... it looks alot better then last years god awful bike.... that **** was nasty looking... at least this one is more pleasing to the eye....

Old 02-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Nice looking bike - don't really follow racing, but I hope they kick a@@!!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 08:40 PM

yes i agree that the new motogp ninja is awsome .. (any bike with around 220hp is awsome, come to think of it).
unfortunatly bluebird, kawasaki's pick for riders was not awsome!!!!
Nakano is no rookie for sure, and is a good rider. i hope he finishes in at least the top 10, this 2006 season.
de puniet?? what kawasaki idiot authorized his jump to their premier class???? in 2005 he came in at 8th place ... on a 1/4 litre bike,
and i really dont see puniet doing anything in gp this season to make anybodys head turn, and should have kept him in the 250cc class for another year... my pick was to pitch hoffman this year and get OJ to ride in 06 instead. But then again i dont have 6 to 12 million dollars this year laying around in a draw somewhere... so my opinion means... crap.
I love kawasaki... but really dont see much of a future for them in the 2006 GP season.
besides the fact that in 04-05 and possibly 06... that the bike does not seem to matter much...
it seems everyone needs to contend with just 1 man... and not the make of the machine.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:12 PM

Valentino Rossi is a bad dude!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the 'gp race lesson' motogp! To be honest, I have never watched any races yet [sm=smiley9.gif]

But I guess imo, doesn't matter what brand of bike wins, we all know deep down that Kawasaki rules [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-01-2006, 10:44 PM

i myself subscribe to motogp..
first off, i hate TV or the commercials.. and for around 40 bucks a year you get the live coverage of pretty much everything involved in motogp...(all classes) news, highlights etc, etc.. the race televised is 1 hour long on TV, but the streaming video from motogp.com is 1:45 minutes long give or take. you have no idea what you miss on a TV.. interviews with riders... and theres no commercials to take you away from the coverage... you dont miss a thing that way... even if you miss the race live.. its there for later viewing..
srry.. didnt mean to make this sound like a plug for motogp.... LOL