General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Looking for input

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Default Looking for input

I have the Vulcan 500, my first and only bike and have been riding fora year with 9k miles on it. Did a bunch of moped riding before (performance) so had no problem with riding a motorcycle. Ooops, just one problem, all the speed limit signs are missing one digit.

Anyway, the vulcan is just not for me. At 5'11", I feel cramped on there and geta little sore on the lower back. Seat is waytoo low and forward for me. At about 70, sounds like it is really at high rev's, but I have taken it to 95 and it couldprobable hit 110 butits not setup for that being naked. I commute, I don't really 'cruise'. I live in Hawaii so I ride daily to work and everywhere else. I don't race, and I don't look for the twisties. I was looking at the zzr600 and the 500r mostly becausethe riding position isn't to far forward and the fairings and windshield to get through the wind a bit better. The zzr for the 4 cyl smoother ride, the 500r for the price.

Half my trip is on a single lane highway, so passing power is important as one vehicle going 25 will back up a whole line of vehicles. Now don't laugh at this next part! LOL. I came across the ninja 250. After reading a bunch of opinions, heres what I get from that. Cheap, great on gas, insurance low, good on the corners, suspension OK but not great, loves the high revs, will get up to and over 95, and does well on the freeway.

Here's my questions. Am i going to kick myself in a month for not enough power? I'm basically looking for a good commuter, the zzr and 550r will exceed it with lots left over and maybe more than I will ever need. Just from what I hear, the 250 probably outperforms my EN500, some agree and some raise their eyebrows. Over here, there is no such thing as a test drive and I don't know anyone who owns the 250, though therequite a few on the road.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Looking for input

If your 500 is not enough power then the 250 will not make you happy, I would say for a commuter get a sit up bike. I am sure kawi has one but can not think of the correct model, so for instance the Yamaha FZ is a full sit up bike with tons of power and corners great. It's like a sport bike that you sit upright on, perfect commuter ride.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Listen to Mike; a 250 won't make you happy.
I'd probably go with a standard style 750. Keep it stock. You'll have plenty of power, get decent gas mileage, likely pay lower (as things go) insurance rates than a sport bike model, and won't look like a dweeb. There are plenty of excellent used 750 standards out there. Pick one (whatever brand--oops, did I say that??) Get it tuned-up and ride it. There are days when I'd love to have an old 750 beater, just to have as a commuter. (Even a 650 would do.) Better to have a little extra power and not need it, than to get into a situation and not have the power to get out of it. I think you'll find a used 750 at about the same price as a new 500, give or take.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i would say the ZZR. [8D]

Old 06-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Heres the problem of going with a standard, kawasaki doesn't have one. It's either sport, super sport, cruiser, and big a$$ bikes. I want to spend more time riding than i do cleaning also. Suzuki has a 900 cruiser that is way more comfy and way cheaper, but only 5 gears. Most complain it needs a sixth gear. They do have some bikes that are more upright, but insurance considers them all sport bikes.

Thanks for pointing out the power issue. I may have a 500, but compared to the 250its 100 lbs. heavier, non fuel injected, the cam shaft is probably different and less valves, exhaust etc,... Gear ratios are probably different also..

Sounds like I may have to go the used route just so I can try before I buy....

Old 06-17-2007, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd look for a standard like a ZZR, or an SV650. I have a SV, and I love it. It's a V-twin, so lots of low end from 0 to 70 it's quick. Nice upright seating, good overall handling...

Old 06-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

If you're comfortable with the moped thing, heck, even look at some of those urban "Vespa" type bikes. They aren't my preference personally, but I can see the utility-factor in them. Add a little nitrous.....

Old 06-18-2007, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Prior owner of a zzr600 and I tell u it says its a sport touring bike cuz it sits up more, but honestly its really a sports bike, if ur looking for something fast and nice zzr is nice and fast, long rides will make your lower back hurt and short rides will be great, has nice acceleration. If your looking for something for more along the lines of just cruising go with something that sits you up more upright. Just go to a dealer and sit on a few bikes and get the feel for the one you like, thats what I did

Old 06-27-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

My brothers got a sv650 he loves that thing for daily driving. It comes naked or with plastic. kinda sporty looking to. check them out.
[align=left] [/align]