General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Kawa ZZR600 Question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Kawa ZZR600 Question...

Hey yall whats up. Got one more question for you guys. Before i bought the bike i had it just generally looked at by a mechanic and he said that it was an incredible deal, but, he said below 2000rpms there are only 3 cylinders firing out of four causing the exhaust to shoot out some gas. He said that it was probably the callibration of the cylinders. I noticed that i can smell gas on myself when iam warming up the bike with the choke, throttle ect... is this dangerous?? expensive?? should i not worry about it?? Other than the smell of the gas, the bike runs exceptional. Like the previous owner said, "your rarely runnin the bike under 2000rpms". Doesnt feel like there is a lack of power when gettin up and goin, so just curious what yall think.

Much appreciated, J

Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Any condition that's causing unburned gas to enter the exhaust is reason for concern...or at least reason to have it looked at. You need to find out if it's weak spark or a very rich condition on that cylinder. Raw fuel entering the exhaust can also mean fuel is making it past the rings and into the oilpan, so keep your eyes on the oil level. If you suddenly have more oil in the engine than you did the day or week before, stop riding it and remedy the problem. If you're at all mechanically inclined, pull the spark plugs and check their condition. When I bought my first Ninja 250 (1994), the #1 spark plug's side electrode was broken off. The bike started and ran (rough), and I'm sure it wasn't burning the fuel in that cylinder completely.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ok, ty...any other suggestions or opinions are most welcomed!!

J

Old 09-21-2010, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Agreed, deffinately get it fixed. should be able to do it yourself, or have someone show you. Plug check should get you started, and if you suspect problems with the carb a good cleaning will do wonders.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

^+2, check your plugs and boots

Like the previous owner said, "your rarely runnin the bike under 2000rpms"
Was his statement a reason not to fix the problem??

let us know on the findings

Old 09-21-2010, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

-Ty for the addition Prom!
-Dragone #19, Kind of yea...i didnt know if it was big enough of a problem that needed to fixed (obviously im an amateur lol). Was hoping i got a clean bike that didnt need anything fixed. The guy that sold it to me gave me all of his previous service receipts, and he disagreed with the the mechanic that took a look at it for me (hes an old mechanic). The guy that sold it to me said the ppl that serviced it last said everything was running fine...the bike runs really good, so i underplayed the concern.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd get another mech if he's talking about things like 'calibration of the cylinders'.

Fit a new set of plugs and check the condition of the HT leads or stick coils. Check that fuelling is OK and that the cold start system operates properly.

The previous owners comment about never running it below 2K rpm is indicative of a bike that's been very poorly maintained. If I were you, this time only, I'd bite the bullet and get a full service by a competent professional, including cleaning and synching the fuel system as well as replacing the plugs and picking up anything else that needs doing.

Is this your first bike? I hope not. Apart from anything else (like killing yourself) with an I4 you need to be able to feel through the seat of your pants if it's misfiring anywhere in the rev range.

An easy way to check for a low rev misfire is to start the engine, let it idle for a few minutes, and before it gets too hot, put a hand on each exhaust header in turn to see if one isn't getting hot.

Rob

Last edited by williamr; 09-21-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Or spray it with a little water from a squirt bottle so you dont burn yourself.

I kinda hate to say it, but you can never completely trust a seller. There is always a reason why he is trying to sell, and he wants to make the sell no matter what. If you bring in your own mechanic, always trust the guy you already paid over the one who wants your money. Let us know what you find, hope its an easy fix.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

@WilliamR, ty for the valuable information. Yes, this is my first bike. I am new to street riding, i dont race anyone and try to be as safe and precautious as i can while I am riding. As far as "being able to feel through the seat of your pants if it's misfiring anywhere in the rev range", the bike rides fine to me. I cant hear, feel, or see anything that is happening/feels/sees wrong. As far as the previous owner, i mean hes a military guy that seemed like a normal guy. He wasnt trying to pressure me into buying the bike or anything. Included with the clean title, he included all of his receipts from servicing the bike. The reciepts show that he took good care of the bike, so idk...

Old 09-22-2010, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

@Prom, thanks man...prob wouldnt be too easy to ride w a burnt hand...lol.

Quick Reply: Kawa ZZR600 Question...