General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Ideas on Chain Lube????

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't think WD-40 had enough actual lubricants in it to protect a chain.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

This has been discussed to death all over the internet. Chain lube, motor oil and tires are probably the 3 most discussed things on any motorcycle forum.

My opinion:

Any lube is better than no lube.
Keep it reasonably clean. No reason to obsess over it unless you ride in abrasive materials like sand or mud all the time.
Keep it properly adjusted .

On another forum, one guy went 40,000 miles on a chain. Nothing but WD-40 and an occasional cleaning. I replace mine every 20,000 because of stories about broken chains destroying engine cases.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
I have been a fan of PJ1 for a long time on O-ring chains. Everyone will have their own preference of course. Good luck in your experience.

What sprocket and chain set did you buy?
Yes I have that along with a couple of others to test, what I have found though is that no matter what you put on the chain with the exception of chain wax (which I hate) you are just buying time as the dirt sticks to it. Regular cleaning and a light anti-sling spray is the best.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigRig18Wheeler
+1

I used maxima for years. Then about 4-5 months ago, they were out and I decided to try the pj1. LOVE IT! expensive, but love it.
I'm still using Maxima, any particular reason to change?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 AM

I use Bel-Ray Superclean Chain Lube. If anyone remembers dri-slide from back in the day for fire-arms, it's pretty much the same only in an aerosol form. I apply it to my chain on every new tank. Sprays on as a thin liquid to wick into the chain and between the plates and rollers. Works well on non-oring chains and GREAT on oring chains. After a short time the main liquid of the spray evaporates and leaves behind what looks like like a white teflon grease, tho I can't say for certain. I spray it on the evening I come home from work, after it has been parked about an hour to let the chain cool down. Then just let it sit over night. Doesn't fling off this way and to be honest I have barely seen much if any dirt build up at all on my chain. Chain is very quiet and in great shape. Have used it on two bikes over the past couple of years and wont switch.

Also, a tip for the folks with 'spray' problems. Tear or cut a piece of cardboard long enough to fit between your rear sprocket and as far toward your shifter as your body will allow. Also make sure the cardboard is approximately 8 inches tall (so that it extends up past your swing arm slightly and extends 6 inches or so beyond your chain) and use this to hold up behind swing arm to keep the chain lube from being sprayed on your shiney rims and/or frame. Also if you spray the lube on and wait over night, at least with using the above mentioned lube..haven't tried others, it wont fling off onto your bike either and will stay on your chain longer.