General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

I keep forgettting to check tire pressure..

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 05:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I keep forgettting to check tire pressure..

So I dont ride much because of my bulging disk in my neck, just to school and back and seldom chores. Also my best friends older brother jsut died and im not feeling that at all. Anyways I guess because im just using it for transportation and not for recreation, I tend to not care for the bike as much as you guys/gals do. For example, I let my oil go sooo low before changing it, couldnt even see it in the glass gauge. And my rear tire I dunno what it is but I never check it. I didnt realize it would get low so fast. I mean I dunno if there is a small leak but this is the 2nd time since I got them. These tires are like 8mths old. The front is great shape and stays pretty hard. But the rear, man, It keeps getting low, well only 2nd time. The first time was like 4 mnths ago my buddy was like man u need to fill up its low and I looked and it was obvious. The thing is I was rippin it around town liek that like an idiot. NOw yesterday I was quarter mile away from my house and I got on it about to 45mph and let off and behind me I see lights 5-0. I was like wtf dude are you kidding me (had court date the next day for wrecless driving). So I pull over right in front of my gate and the cop says hey your tire is low dude, when u switched gears i saw it squish. I got off squeezed it and it was squishy, thanked the cop and filled it in the morning.

Now my rider manual says to check this and that everytime before you ride, but now that i dont ride around anymore i dont check. So my mistake obviously. filled it and man it was like 10x faster. But it sux because now my tire tread is worn a bit (IM A JACKDIK).

So my question is basically, should I be filling up my rear tire like every 4mnths or what?

Old 04-13-2006, 06:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I keep forgettting to check tire pressure..

no way dude my tire pressure is still good and im about to replace them with 8000 miles on em and i've never had to fill em up.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Playing with the tire pressure at certain altitudes or ambients is one thing. That does not seem to be the case for you. You have an issue.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Every time I head out on the bike - the first thing I do is check the tire pressure. Just try to get yourself into that habit.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

you should be fine.... the only time i check my tire pressure is when i got for a ride with my friends and i know i'm gonna be the bike pretty hard.....

Old 04-13-2006, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

so yall think there might be a small leak?

Old 04-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Funkdock

so yall think there might be a small leak?
I'd almost bet on it. I have a small one somewhere, I must anyways, because I lose small amounts of tire pressure over time as well. I'm not too worried about it though.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

possible small leak. it depends on how much air you are losing over a given time, and the brand tire it is, the style valve stem you have, and if it is a different size tire than what the rim is designed for.

Normally, a tire will lose 1-2 lbs per month. That's just natural. it's just the air finding it's way through the rubber. Anymore than that, then it needs to be fixed. Actually, replaced. Once you have a tire patched, you lose the speed rating down to a Q speed. which is around 89 mph, if I remember right.

Just check it real quick yourself. Grab some soapy water and start spraying. Make sure you check the valve stem.

I usually check my air once a week, plus everytime I go on a big ride. Everytime I check the air, I check the oil, chain, and bulbs. Takes like 5 minutes. If you have a leak, and you let it go, it could cause a seperation of the tire, which could lead to a blowout, etc.

Air is cheap, might as well use it, right???

Old 04-22-2006, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigRig18Wheeler

I usually check my air once a week, plus everytime I go on a big ride. Everytime I check the air, I check the oil, chain, and bulbs. Takes like 5 minutes. If you have a leak, and you let it go, it could cause a seperation of the tire, which could lead to a blowout, etc.

Air is cheap, might as well use it, right???
lot cheaper than a new bike, head, arms, legs, fingers, etc etc.

I'm sure you get the picture, thats some good advice BigRig

Old 04-22-2006, 01:43 PM

If you've got some $$$ or £££ burning a hole in your pocket, you could pick up one of these...

http://www.touringeurope.org/tire-pr...tors/index.cfm

This one looks pretty cool... Maybe overkill, but cool!

http://www.touringeurope.org/tire-pr...le-tpms-mc.cfm