General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

how critical is proper break-in

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:57 AM
Default how critical is proper break-in

well what exactly IS break-in period??? and how integral is it? i am just having a hard time keeping the RPMs under 4k. i cant do 55 without hitting 5k-6k.

oh yea, today i dropped $7,400 plus my 250 on a BRAND new Black ZX-6R!!!!! i will get some pics up here soon fellas. I am so happy with this bike!!! Nothing compares? but the break-in period???

Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: how critical is proper break-in

Congrats on the ride, but ya got some reading to do!

Old 11-21-2007, 05:57 AM

any thoughts on the break in period?

Old 11-21-2007, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

It is a debated topic, some say vary the rpm's and ride it normally, others say to kepp them low, my personal opinion is that you should just do what the manufacturer suggests.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

do a search, like zzrick said it's been hashed alot. mostly just try not to hold itat one steady rpm the whole time during this period. and don't red line it neither of course. but RIDE IT is what the dealer told me last time when i picked up my 07.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Ride it easy, the RPM limitations are arbitrary to ensure you are taking it easy for the break in. Do you need to go 50mph on the highway to protect your engine, no. Should you rocket up to80 everytime you get on the freeway, absolutely not, but once or twice wont hurt

Old 11-22-2007, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member

[sm=rant.gif]
ORIGINAL: Rocketrotary
You don't want to redline it but bringing the r's half way up to redline is not a problem, no more than that for at least 1000 miles, on the flip side it is just as bad to lug the motor. Shift often, vary speed, minimum idle, don't overheat in slow traffic, Vary rpm's within range and warm up at idle for4-5 minutes minimum for first startup of the day. Cool motor will inherit leaks. Usually after first oil change you can ride it like you stole it!!!!!
[/quote]

Old 11-23-2007, 04:58 AM

I just dont wanan mess my bike up. i wanna take it easy and break it in the right way but then again i have heard that you can ride it the way you are going to ride it ya know.. i dont know. i am definitely gonna take it easy the frist 500 miles (up to 4,000rpms) then after that i might just run it normally. is driving it on interstate OK once you get to 500 miles? once i get to 500 i am going to get the oil changed

Old 11-23-2007, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

You just don't want to: a. keep it at a steady rpm for a long period of time, or b. wring the crap out of it during break-in. Changing the oil is a must, so you get the nasties out from the break-in. Interstate? Probably OK, but don't just go to 4K and stay there for an hour or two. Break-in is unique to each engine with regard to parts getting "mated." The 500 mile mark is not a magic green flag.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Once temp is up, I make sure that the rings are seating during the shake down runs, and that I do not get spit off because of a brake issue or something. I like playing up and down the rpm range to 10k rpms. Heat cycles a couple of times, then I wing it.

edit: oil change before winging it to inspect the oil.

Quick Reply: how critical is proper break-in