General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Help Me Decide...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Question Help Me Decide...

KLX250s or KLR650?

I want a duel purpose bike - was looking at Yamaha TW200 too, but for the money, the KLX250S is quite a bit more bike. Some have suggested the 650...

I want this for recreational use, to run around locally (live in a rural/small town type area) and to have as a SHTF backup - economical transportation.

The KLX250 seems to fit the bill for what I want - 70 MPG and capable of cruising on the highway if that is needed. I know the 650 is more bike all the way around but you lose 20 MPG and the gains just aren't that important to me in terms of more power, range, etc. And it's $1500 more. The 250 can be had for $5099 and I think Kow is offering a $300 incentive right now... or lower interest rate.

250 can go 3500 miles on 50 gallons of gas - the 650, only 2500.

One question that I do have about the 250 - what is the top end speed on this? Will it comfortably cruise at 70MPH on the highway?

That was one fault of the Yamaha TW200 - it tops out around 65 and probably shouldn't be run past 60 for steady driving. For $500 more (or maybe even less with incentive) I can get 50cc more power which I'm thinking probably allows the 250 to top out at 85 or so - but I haven't found that information anywhere yet.

Oh, a little more about me - I'm 52 and my motorcycle experience started young on a Yam 60. I had a Yam T125 for several years to ride with my kids on their minibikes on our small ranch in Texas, so I can ride with no problem - stand 5'8" and currently weigh 240 but am losing weight - targeting 200, so the bike needs to be able to handle my heft. That's one question too about the 250 v 650. I'm sure the 650 would be just fine - prob 250 too, but...

I want to get a full face helmet and a protective type jacket for this as well, along with a rear rack and bags, but I need to figure out the bike model first.

Thoughts?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

First, welcome to KF.

Cruise 70 on the highway? Get the KLR. The KLX will do 70, generally, but most are not happy trying to ride it that fast for much distance. I'm not.

Ride lots of dirt and trails? Get the KLX.

The KLR is heavy and more road oriented but doesn't mind gravel and fire roads. I don't really enjoy it on more difficult trails. Especially picking it up.

The KLX is lighter and likes dirt better. The KLX suspension is made for a 150 lb rider, so you may need to do some upgrades to be happy if you're pushing it very hard at all.

I have both.

Good luck on finding the one that fits you and your interests best!

edit: and THANK YOU for your service.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 08-12-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess there's no perfect bike... 150 lbs? Are you saying it's a girl's bike? lol dang.

Maybe I do need to go with the KR - I will be on the road much more than the trails - the trails are really secondary. Though, I live on a dirt road, which is kind of like a fire road... I just like the fuel economy of the KLX...

Last edited by OSOK; 08-12-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Girl's bike? No, not necessarily. But our "standard" American guy size is a bit more than the "standard" outside of America.

You have any friends with similar bikes? Any you can beg, borrow, or rent? Pick up a used bike for 1/3 the price of new, and sell it with little or no loss if you don't like it then get the new bike you like?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are doing alot of offroad and not hauling a lot of camping stuff get the klx. WAAAY more lighter and nimble. If you are doing a lot of highway cruising and hauling alot of stuff get the klr. Both will offroad good. If read trip reports with people taking the klr in some nasty areas and does fine. Just you are gonna be worn out. I have a klx250s and love it. I bought it mainly cause I do lots of offroading and wanted smaller bike to toss around. I almost bought a klr but was just too heavy for what I wanted to do. I ride the klx alot daily to work and back on the highway doing 70-80 and does just fine. Yea its revving higher than a klr at those speeds but does it just fine. Im doing a big 2 week trip on the klx in sept so this will be the big test. All trails for the most part. Lots of good info on here on the klx's. Very good bike. I love mine!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I debated between the two as well. I ended up getting the KLX since I mainly use it to ride to work (3 miles) and run errands. I love the gas mileage, about $20 a month for 91 octane. Due to it's light weight and size it's very maneuverable and easy to ride.

I think if you were doing a fair amount of highway riding the KLR would be better. The KLR also might be better taking into account your weight, maybe some of the other big-boned fellas will chime in with their feedback.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:12 AM

Thanks for the comebacks fellas - I guess I just need to get to the dealer and sit on them and look at the specs there. I'd buy used but I seem to attract needy motorized stuff when I do that... and then I end up spending almost as much as buying new by the time I'm through fixing the prob.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I am still after the true putt putt. The Klx 450 street trim. The 250 does not cut it for me and my needs.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
I am still after the true putt putt. The Klx 450 street trim. The 250 does not cut it for me and my needs.
Hey Dragone...
I kind of hear you there. I really enjoy the klx250 now 351. But I saw a 450 kitted for street on CL here a while ago. It did not last long.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:45 AM
Default Bike

I'm an old guy 210 lbs and i love my KLX 250s. So much fun on the trails and does ok on the highway. Lowered it 3" .though. makes it easier for us old guy's.

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide...