General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Help! Is This A Good Deal On A New Bike From A Dealer???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:13 AM
Default Help! Is This A Good Deal On A New Bike From A Dealer???

Hello!!! how are you guys/gals doing?? I am a new member to this site even though I've been here a few times before reading the forums. I am from Houston, Texas and really need some honest/good advice.

I currently have a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja Zx-6rr with 9k miles. A few small mods: k&n filter, tank protector, frame sliders, flush turn signals, seat cowl, wheel tape, lowered, and external battery charger. I bought it used, but lately have had the itch to buy a brand new bike.

I have recentley come across a dealer that has a brand NEW 2007 ninja zx-6r left over in his inventory bike with 0 miles. I was a little concerend at first because I thought the bike had been sitting around for awhile and so I asked him about it. He then he responded with "The bike was crated until about a week ago, and it has not been prepped, (started), so, no you are not going to have any problems."

After talking $$$ for a few days I talked him down to $6235.96 out the door. Is that a good deal or should I just stick with my current bike????? Maybe I'm being spoiled because I already have a good bike, but around 6,200 out the door for a brand new bike seems REALLY good to me. Help!!

Last edited by nufiser534; 04-17-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

i have an '07 and they are awesome. i paid twice that for mine and it was worth every penny.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF.

I would prolly stick with your 06 6rr since you already own it.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

There's nothing quite like riding a bike thats paid off. If your current isn't paid off, it's at least partially so.

If it were me, I'd take that money and put half in the bank, take the other half and buy an upgrade or two and a nice motorcycle vacation this summer.

If you don't have the cash on hand, then you're planning on going into more debt to get a bike very similar to the one you have now. Is that really what you want to do?

Remember, when you owe money to someone, you become their slave. Why CHOOSE to be a slave when you don't have to be?

Thats just my

Old 04-17-2009, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

06 and 07 are ENTIRELY different bikes. just my 2 cents

Old 04-17-2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the help so far!! It's nice getting some honest opinons when I need them.

This is my current situation....

Yes, my current bike is paid off and I have the title in my name. I have enough cash saved up to pay the 6,200 without selling my 2006 zx-6rr first.

So this is what I was thinking (and please let me know if I'm out of place here) ...Maybe I could buy the 07 zx-6r cash, then I ccould list my 06 zx-6rr for sale. I'm sure I could at least get 5,500 for it. So I could pretty much get a brand new bike for around 700-800 dollars. Does that sound logical or should I just be happy with what I have? Thanks again!!

Last edited by nufiser534; 04-17-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Only you can answer that question.

As Joe Sprocket pointed out, they are very different bikes. Maybe a test ride on the new one will tell you if it's worth that much to you.

*Joe Sprocket* - Sorry, I guess I didn't realize they were so different. Apologies........

Old 04-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

*Joe Sprocket* - Sorry, I guess I didn't realize they were so different. Apologies........
No apoligies. Each ride for a certain purpose though.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:44 AM
1st Gear Member

is there anything wrong with the bike you have now? you could always buy the new one and have your old bike for track days or something else. or like you said you could always sell it.
the price sounds pretty good to me. If i had the cash flow i would probly do it too.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:59 PM

Nope, there is nothing wrong with the bike I have right now, it's a great bike but I've always wanted a new bike that I can take care of myself and also know for a fact that it hasn't been abused in any way.

Update: I think I'm going to pass on the new bike. Even though 6,200 out the door is the best deal I've ever heard of and will never find another price like that again, I have to pass. I am very happy with what I have right now and realize that there are more important things to worry about...family, friends, school, etc. I have decided to wait and buy a brand new bike when I get a house with a garage however long that may be lol (I live in an apartment now down here in Tx)

Thanks for your help you guys

Last edited by nufiser534; 04-19-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Help! Is This A Good Deal On A New Bike From A Dealer???