General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

hauling your bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default hauling your bike

can anybody tell me the correct and securest way to tie your bike in the back of a truck for transport. i dont have a wheel chock and have had cruziers that i just tied everywhere but this 1s all plastic and i dont wanna hurt it. should i just find a place on the handlebars and rachet tie it down ? and what about using kickstand up or down thanks for any advice

Old 02-23-2008, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: hauling your bike

I use soft ties so the plastic doesn't get sratched, then attach the soft ties to the lower triple clamp, hook it to your straps that are going to tie downs at either side of your truck (on the bottom of the bed). This way it doesn't really touch any plastic, cinch it down until the forks are compressed some, and thats it. Where are you going though? I wouldn't leave it in there fora weekor anything with the forks compressed like that.Run another strap around the backfor a little more security, I have runone strap through the passenger pegs and attached it to either side. If you have any more questions let me know.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

thats what i was thinking just wanna be safe with my baby is all. not goin far but alot of frost heaves round here this time of year just takin it to the shop 4 new shoes and alittle love normally i would ride it there but it is winter here and i got a half dollar size patch in my rear tire that the belts are showin weird thats that the only spot and ive seen people ride with worse tires but not me i just dont wanna damage it in the truck. so the front is all i need to worry bout and the rear will stay put was thinkin i would tie the rear at the passenger pegs like you said. should the front tire be straight or turned and locked also im not sure if there are tie downs in the bottom of the bed (pops truck gotta look i guess)i was thinking of those holes along the top hope hes got em on the bed no kickstand huh? i guess i was the most worried about not having a wheel chock but if i leave it in gear and tie it tight it should stand up ok and the soft ties are a good idea thanks for the reply i really dont wanna scratch her its old (2000xz9r) but it looks showroom new. ive always driven it to the shop 4 that reason

Old 02-24-2008, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

You could probably go to the top holes if you run the ties just under the triple clamp around the tubes. But I'm not for sure. I leave the tire straight, and the bike will feel rock solid when you cinch it down. I have neve done the rear tie-down, but I understand why ppl would. Are the tires bridgestones by any chance?

Old 02-24-2008, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

no they are dunlop qualifiers a little flat spot on the back tire with bout 4800mi dont know if i ran sumthin over or what just got a circular spot bout the size of a half dollar with the belts showin you would think that would happen in a line around the tire but just that 1 spot they were gettin worn anyway but coulda got a little more outa them not sure what im puttin on em this time i always say im goin to sport tourin tires 4 milage but never do i dont want to be thinkin i tried to save money in milage when im divin into a corner guess i could slow down but what fun would that be iprob dont go fast enough 4 it to matter but it gives me more confidence none the less thanks for the help im sure i will get it there ok just hope i keep all straps off the plastic

Old 02-24-2008, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I run qualifiers as well, and I love them. I remembered some stuff awhile back where alot of people were having trouble with the battleaxes "chunking". I got a flat on a rear tire last summer at about 400 miles, and had to replace mine...it sucks for sure man.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

look into getting a canyon dancer they are the ****!!

if you plain on transproting you bike alot in the truck you really should get a wheel chalk

Old 02-25-2008, 03:41 AM

I had to pick my friends bike. We used a rope insted of canyon dancers. Made 2 loops that hooked on the grip area then 2 loops to attach straps to on the end of the rope. Thatheld the front in place. Along w/ 2-4X4 so the tire wouldn't move.
Then we used a ratchet strap and attached 1 end to the truck bed made 1 wrap around the rear wheel then attached the strap to the other side of the bed.
The strap on the rear kept the bike upright while the front strap kept the bike from moving front to back.
FYI: the tighter the rear strap the better. Don't bottom out fork seals