General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Grim Reaper lookin' for Nobrakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Grim Reaper lookin' for Nobrakes

Well, maybe not Grim himself, but one of his cousins was havin' a little fun with me today.

I was heading down a trail I'd been down many times before, not going very fast. There are a number of parallel ruts here and I just happened to catch one just right and I went down hard - dug in on my right side and I came off, digging in on my shoulder and rib cage which took the brunt of it. My helmet took a good ding too. I knew something didn't feel right as I laid there trying to catch my breath with the wind knocked out of me. After I mentally took stock of the situation and myself, I thought I avoided serious injury, but as I sat up and attempted to remove my helmet I realized I could not lift my right arm and my collar bone clavical area was burning hot. Also ribs were on fire too. ****.

I managed to settle down and cool off a little. Still couldn't remove my helmet so that kind'a sucked. My bike was on its right side, so with my good arm, left arm, I held the turned my back to my bike, squatted down for a power lift with my legs, held the throttle grip and brake with my left hand, and lifted as hard as I could. It took me three tries to get it up, and I just leaned on my bike there a bit while I cooled back down - felt like I was going to pass out.

Eventually, I eased my leg over and with my left arm, put my right hand on the throttle. It hurt like hell, but what was else was I going to do? Thank god for push-button start - it cranked over a good bit as it was flooded apparently. No way I could have kick started it. Finally it fired up and I somehow got it turned back around and eased it back out of the woods and onto the pavement where I limped home.

I just spend the last 4 hours at the ER for a battery of X-rays - broken clavicle, fractured ribs. I'm wearing a sling right now and have some pretty good meds. Sux that I won't be able to ride until this heals up. Maybe this is a good opportunity for me to take off my 300cc big bore jug and send it off to be bored to a 330cc. My bike would be down and unrideable for that procedure anyway, and since I can't ride for at least a few weeks, I think I may go ahead and do that.

I was geared up, just the luck of the fall - I think I landed on the edge of another adjacent rut which contributed to the severity of the landing.

I'll maybe try and post a photo of the X-ray, I did get a copy and it's pretty cool, the broken clavicle shows up very well.

Take care - watch those damn ruts!

Old 09-05-2006, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Grim Reaper lookin' for Nobrakes

HOLY COW! Sorry about your wreck man. Really glad you aren't hurt worse!!! Hope you heal up quick. I know its gonna drive you nuts to not ride. How long do you have to be off trail? 6 weeks or something like that?

Old 09-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That's what the doctor said - 6 weeks or so. I fractured some ribs on the other side earlier this summer and that didn't keep me from riding, just had to take it real easy for a while. That healed up in about 4 weeks. This one doesn't feel like it will be so amenable to riding, though. I'm finding it damn difficult just to get my arm up enough to type - have to use my mouse left handed, which is weird. I'm too addicted to this place to not post, though ...

Thanks for the sentiments, DG - mucho appreciated!

Old 09-05-2006, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Brian,

Sorry to hear about your stroke of bad luck!

What would REALLY suck is if you did this sub-conscieously, just to create the opportunity to do the 330cc bore job! That would be a hell of a sacrifice ... especially if you wipe with your right hand!!! [sm=joke.gif]

Hope your recovery goes by quick and smooth! (And don't forget to post JPGs of your X-rays!!!)

Regards,

Mike

Old 09-05-2006, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

AHHHHH Man we was just sending e mails back and fourth I'm real sorry to hear about what happened.......
Get some rest and take care

Old 09-05-2006, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

When I busted my collarbone in elementary school I was knocked down running down hill and blacked out before I landed. No pain but couldn't move my right arm from shoulder down and my collar bone(s) were not where they were supposed to be. Broke it in 2 places, aparently the way I landed my chin took out a chunk in my collarbone, it didn't heal right and I have a nice knot where it mended and it sticks up noticeably higher than my other one but movement issues or pain. Good one on getting back home! I don't think I could have even used a quad's thumb throttle let alone a twist grip when mine broke.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:41 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Here's the photo of my innerds - break is on the left side of this photo (my right shoulder). Notice the right side of the photo, nice smooth arch of the clavicle bone. On the left, it is broken about half-way - I circled it.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:46 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

When I busted my collarbone in elementary school I was knocked down running down hill and blacked out before I landed. No pain but couldn't move my right arm from shoulder down and my collar bone(s) were not where they were supposed to be. Broke it in 2 places, aparently the way I landed my chin took out a chunk in my collarbone, it didn't heal right and I have a nice knot where it mended and it sticks up noticeably higher than my other one but movement issues or pain. Good one on getting back home! I don't think I could have even used a quad's thumb throttle let alone a twist grip when mine broke.
Yeah, it was pretty painful - I thought I was going to black out a couple of time, but not so much from pain I think it was the heat, not being able to get the helmet off, and the kind've surrealness of the situation. I was going to sit down and take a little rest, but I figured the longer I waited, the more the adrenaline and endorphines would wear off and then the real pain would kick in. Luckily I didn't have too far to go. I was actually more worried about what I was going to say to my wife who does not like the green KLX not one bit [:@]

Unfortunately, they can't really do much other than sling your arm and its suppose to go back into position on its own and heal. Doesn't sound like yours quite did that. Here's hoping ...

Old 09-05-2006, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm glad you're OK. It sounds bad enough, but at least you're here to talk about it. Good luck healing.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Ouch Brian..... Dang dude. At least you were geared up man. Broken bones, 6 weeks down....Big Bore It!! lol lol

Evidently, the bike is still ok. Did you wife freak out when you got home? Did you tell her the truth? lol

Quick Reply: Grim Reaper lookin' for Nobrakes