General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Gpz 900 question. Need help fast

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Default Gpz 900 question. Need help fast

I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT I DID A CRAIGS LIST CHECH AND FOUND A 1985 GPZ 900 FOR SALE WITH ONLY 13,000 MILES WITH KNOW SEVERE FAIRING DAMAGE. THE DEALER SHIP WANT 1,600 FOR IT OR BEST OFFER. I DONT THINK THEY REALIZE WHAT THEY HAVE. THEY SAID IT RUNS GREAT AND HAD A MAJOR TUNE UP AND THE CARBS WERE FLUSHED WHAT EVER THAT MEANS. I WANTED ONE OF THESE BIKES SINCE I WAS A KID AND I FIRST SEEN TOP GUN. MATTER OF FACT IT IS BLACK AND RED JUST LIKE THE ONE IN THE MOVIE. IT IS ALMOST IDENTICLE.

HERES MY PROBLEM, I WANT TO RIDE BUT I HAVE NO RIDING EXPERIENCE. IS THIS TO MUCH FOR A FIRST TIME RIDER. IS IT AS DANGEROUS AS THE NEW 900'S OR IS IT A BIT MORE MANEGABLE. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THESE NEW SUPER SPORT BIKES ARE SCARY FAST. I WANTED TO START WITH A KAWASAKIN NINJA 25O, BUT THIS BIKE SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE. iSHOULD I BUY IT AND KEEP IT GARAGED UNTIL IM READY TO RIDE ONE. OF COURSE I WANT TO TAKE THE MOTORCYCLE SAFTY COURSE, THAT IS MY NUMBER ONE PRIORITY

I NEED SOME ADVICE, PLEASE HELP ME.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Is it too much bike? Yes. Can you learn with it? probably, but you would take a very long time to get the proper skills to really enjoy it. If its your dream bike and the price is good to you, then get it but I would really look for a 250 or 500 to start off with. On a 250 you will learn all the ins and outs of riding without feeling intimidated. The new 900's are faster, but don't let that make you fall into the false sense of security. Also, keep in mind with older bikes, it will need alot of attention. Rubber brake lines and gaskets will need attention along with other issues. Those are cool bikes. But learn how to ride before you try to take it out and pull a Top Gun and race an F-16

Old 08-07-2009, 02:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I would not call the 900 a good starter bike let alone a 1985 heavy weight. I would think working on it while learning a more nimble ride as a beginner would be cool. Good luck and welcome to KF.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

i completely agree with both of these guys. the old 900's are very quick and are not to be taken lightly. they are also a classic and killer bike. for that price i'd grab it and either toot around on it getting use to it or grab another cheap bike to do my learning on. either way i think u should still grab that bike

Old 08-07-2009, 05:41 PM

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm going to go with your idea Mr. sprocket. I know i should start on a 250 or even possible a 650 twin, but i think i am going to buy the bike and garage it until I'm ready for something bigger. Im going to buy a 250 and learn off of that for a while. I know that the gpz is big for a begginer. After all I'm probably going to end up droping the bike and im not going to look cool with a TOP GUN bike that has scratches all over it. I have been doing some research and some one wrote that these bikes are cosidered antiques buy the DMV, i don't know what they meen by that. I also read that Mr. Tom Cruise used a GPZ 900 frame with a 750 motor in it because he wasn't ready for the 900.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Mag, how old are you? If you're in your 30's or 40's and not some schizophrenic puppy you can probably learn just fine on a GpZ. However, these guys^ already know I agree with them on the 250-500 size for a starter.
The GpZ sounds like a good deal. If you get it, don't be stupid, OK? We want you around awhile. Welcome aboard.
Gear up; stay safe.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

It has a mechanical speedo. Could be 113 000 miles with a motor rebuild. (24 years x 5000miles per year.)

gammac

Old 08-09-2009, 04:43 AM

jeff im 28 years old, which is one of the reasons why i want to start riding. I wanted a motorcycle since my teen years and now i can look back and see how fast time went by, and how much the bikes have changed, and i want to start riding now before i waste any more time. I am a solid grounded person, i don't want to ride to impress chicks or pop wheelies, i want to ride for personal satisfaction. Actually i have never been ticketed by a cop or recieved a speeding ticket by one. My insurance agent told me one of the factors is that i drive a white pick up truck and cops usually don't pay as much attention to white vechichles as red or black ones. To prepare my self for motorcycle riding i have been observing all the moronic things that people do while driving. MY all time favorite is when people text while driving. I fliped this one girl off for texting while driving, that just iratates the hell out of me, because she could get some one killed. I know i have to be extra carefull wher i live, because i live in the bay area and these people drive like animals. The 880 freeway is like Death Race 2000.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Right on MAGNUS, good luck. Just remember age is just a helpful hint to use judgement and knowledge while riding. I am always learning as it is.

Quick Reply: Gpz 900 question. Need help fast