General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

GAS PRICES!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default GAS PRICES!!!!!!

is it posible to fill up with87 gas and then put octane booster in your tankand make it sutible for you bike's octane?

Old 07-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GAS PRICES!!!!!!

Um, what bike do you have? DoesOEM specify premium? If you're running a non-modified (manufacturer compression spec) bike, regular gas should work OK. If you're racing, you mayhave a different situation."Octane" is the relative amount of oxygen in the gas. The higher the octane, the more O2 is available. If you don't have a problem with pinging or other detonationissues on regular gas, I'd use it just to savea few dollars. Just because youswitch over to premium fuel, you don't necessarily turn into a GP star. Ifpremium is specified for your engine, yeah; maybe I'd consider it, but most bikes will run just fine on regular $4/gallon stuff.Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wheel408

is it posible to fill up with87 gas and then put octane booster in your tankand make it sutible for you bike's octane?
What ride and mods are you running and what do you expect out of that ride?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Why go to a lower octane and then have to add booster to it, for the few cents you save on lower octane you put it back more by the cost of the booster, if that makes sense? Myself I'll just pay the extra cents for premium.[8D]

Old 07-05-2008, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

People are getting crazy with these gas questions now. I think that is a terrible idea. It will probably cost more in the end, plus if you make a mistake you may end up causing engine damage. If it seems like a good idea to you...go for it.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

thanky for all the info
i got a stock 01 zx7 beside the full muzzy
i want the best throttle response out of my usual ride
oh and in san jose, CA they sell octane booster at the dollar store lol so in the long run you really save over a 4gallon tank, that regular gas would make a big diffrence over time right?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

There's a common misconception that may be happening here: Octane = Power. On engines that don't have a high compression ratio and aren't turbocharged / supercharged, high octane serves little purpose but to drain your wallet faster.

Octane does one thing: prevents detonation. It's a chemical (heptane) added to gasoline to prevent it from igniting before it's supposed to. High compression and turbocharged engines have the tendency to cause low-octane gas to detonate before it's supposed to, causing that pinging or knocking noise we're all familiar with. It's a power robber and can do serious damage if left unchecked. My Mazdaspeed 6 requires premium fuel. If I don't use it, the engine computer will back down spark timing and it would basically run like crap. Often, motorcycles don't have such mechanisms so they just knock. Sometimes it's catastrophic, sometimes nothing happens. It's bad, nonetheless.

If you're hearing a knock or ping, step up one grade and see if it stops. But just filling a bike up with the most expensive gas available is ignorant. It doesn't clean better, it doesn't add any power. It only helps with power if the engine is designed to use it.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I just do the math. $0.25 X 4gallons = $1
Will I pay $17 instead of $16 at the pump? Considering I would be paying $120 to fill the truck up on the cheap stuff an extra buck dont bother me a bit.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member

dude, my lumi has a huge tank... i use premium because it burns cleaner and i seem to get better mileage. i put ~$60 worth of 87, to fill on premium it costs ~$63. so an 18ish gallon tank and $3 extra.. i think its worth it.

not to mention that if you actually read the fine print on a bottle of octane booster, (i can only imagine a bottle at the dollar store) but one that costs $3.50 a bottle and boosts gas "10 points". when you read it it says "one point is equal to 1/10 of standard octane" so you'd be spending a dollar a bottle to get 88oct gas.

or you could spend 80cents extra per fillup and get 93[&:]