General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Engineering my exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Engineering my exhuast

A friend of mine and I are considering engineering a cat-back exhaust for my bike. its a 2007 Ninja ZX6R. I just wanted to come on here and see if any of you have any expereince with this. We like to do alot of work ourselves instead of buying stuff. So i want to make my exhuast heat resistant and lightweight. so we are thinking about goin with 321 stainless. id appreciate your input thanks

Old 07-23-2007, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Engineering my exhuast

I don't know. How about this:
Name:  muffler-002.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  83.2 KB

Old 07-23-2007, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Seriously though, You're the first person I've heard of trying to make their own exhaust system for a bike. Hope it turns out well.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

speeds the first one to actually make his own pipes and they kick *** too. might want to ask him for some tips or pointers. make it out of carbon if you can.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackNinjaZX6R

A friend of mine and I are considering engineering a cat-back exhaust for my bike. its a 2007 Ninja ZX6R. I just wanted to come on here and see if any of you have any expereince with this. We like to do alot of work ourselves instead of buying stuff. So i want to make my exhuast heat resistant and lightweight. so we are thinking about goin with 321 stainless. id appreciate your input thanks
you planning new headers or just a slip on?

if headers, there are formulas for calculating the runner length based on displacement and rpm which determines exhaust volume and velocity, the length will then tune it to the RPM you want it to gain the most at.

stainless is a good choice. I highly recommend ceramic coating the exhaust inside and out. white inside and black or silver outside. this hold the heat inside the exhaust system untill it gets shot out the back. it keeps the exhaust velocity up for maximum power.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

hmm catback

Old 07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

do the newer bikes use catalytic converters? or is that a cali emissions thing?

Old 07-23-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

no were using cats,Cali started it,and slowly its grown the zx12r was the first kawi lineup to have it, and when it first came out it was poorly designed and the bottom half of the canister would turn a blue,purple, from all the heat, blackninja ,try to get ahold of some 400 Series Ferritic Stainless, amazing

Old 07-23-2007, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

let me clear it up im pretty sure the point of where hes starting it right after the header, where it bolts up,the Cat is built into the canister, thats why the 12 had a problem with heat displacement

Old 07-23-2007, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

gotcha, yeah cat cons are a troublesome thing if the motor runs the slightest bit rich. the catcon causes all that to burn off int he exhaust and basicly its like a flaim thrower oven inside there.

personally i'd gut the cat and run a pipe through the center if you need it to look stock. otherwise i'd pull it off and save it for emissions testing (if you have to do that)

Quick Reply: Engineering my exhuast