General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Are Enduro bikes Street Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Are Enduro bikes Street Legal?

Tell me if I'm wrong, but enduros are nothing more than dirtbikes with head/tail lights right? And, a dualsport takes it further by including turn signals? So, can a person ride the enduro on the street, providing the rider uses their hand as their signal?

Old 11-16-2006, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Are Enduro bikes Street Legal?

Since a lot, but not all, enduro races utilize public roads, "enduros" by definition should be dual sports. So yes. Crazy *** states like California can be a bitch about it, but pretty much an enduro should be street legal so it can use public roads that may link different trails. According to AMA, a given enduro race can't be more than 25-30% paved road anyway, so you wouldn't be using race slicks or anything, but meh.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i could be wrong but i didnt really think there was a difference between enduros and dual sports. I work with a guy that has a 1975 yamaha enduro, says that right on the owners manual. I think the "enduro" term is an old term that got replaced with "dual sport" now, and they just call them enduro races, they proabably could be dual sport races. Yea a dualsport like mine is pretty much a dirt bike with head/tail light and front and rear turn signals, but they had to do a few extra things on them too.. kickstand killswitch, chain guards... stuff that true dirt bikes dont have, now if you get into true supermoto bikes they have what i call sport bike tires, and if they really change thier bike the make the suspension stiffer i believe.... good enough answer ?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

My coworker rides a suzuki 400e which he converted to a street legal bike (the S is the street legal version). Basically if you want to convert your dirt bike to street legal, you'll have to check with your state to see if it's possible. Then get it inspected (so the state will say, "this bike has all the right markings and equipment for street legal purposes"), VINned, registered, and insured. This means you'll need signals, mirrors, lights, reflectors, etc... Make sure you have a title too, most states won't do anything with it unless you have a title or certificate of origin.

yes...i just used VIN as a verb in the past tense....

Old 11-16-2006, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

So, in other words: No. Since enduros don't have Mirrors, horns, signals, reflectors etc. I would have to convert the bike over to be legal on the roads.

And pangerang, people that use VIN as a verb in past tense will be condemned to hell for all eternity! LOL

[sm=joke.gif]

Old 11-16-2006, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

So, in other words: No. Since enduros don't have Mirrors, horns, signals, reflectors etc. I would have to convert the bike over to be legal on the roads.

And pangerang, people that use VIN as a verb in past tense will be condemned to hell for all eternity! LOL

[sm=joke.gif]
oh crap...you mean i'll be stuck here in CT forever

Old 11-16-2006, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

No, you'll be stuck here in Nebraska, the "real hell"!

Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

No, you'll be stuck here in Nebraska, the "real hell"!
what do you do out in Lincoln Nebraska?

Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

In Lincoln, most people here are drunken Husker fans![:@] Outside of Lincoln, people are either farmers, or meth heads.[:'(]

Since I am neither, I'm kinda screwed! That's why I ride.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Are there good places to ride out there? or is everythign straight and flat?

Quick Reply: Are Enduro bikes Street Legal?