General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

DRIVING AT NIGHT SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Default DRIVING AT NIGHT SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME

Listen its 5 am in the morning and cant sleep and im going on a long ride in about 3 hours so i thought what better than to share my thoughts! i was coming back from the county(farm lands) last night and we were doing 65 to 70mph and i dont have my high beams on because my friend says it bothers him but in my mind with my low beam i can only see 15 feet in front of me and to me it is like driving blind because an animal or anything can be on the road i was just wondering if its me being paraniod or if anyone else sees it my way! i just feel like im riding blind. maybe im just getting old but at 31 i feel 16 and were i go hang out with the rest of the bike guys they like to go at night where i like the day where i can see what im doing[:@]

Old 07-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: DRIVING AT NIGHT SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME

well living in the city is kinda the same only you have to worry about hitting a jack *** more so then a deer. if i lived where there were animals that will jump out infront of you then id probley feel the same way.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:57 PM

i live in the city to we just go out in to the country side so we can hit the speeds and turns at the speed we want its just some times we go so far by the time we get back to the city it is already dark i dont mind driving at night in the city im very alert and cautious so im ussually never get nervous plus at night in the city there are so many lights u can see everything! out in country side my headlights only shine 15 or 20 feet andwhen u go 65mph at the least things pop up quick thanks for getting back at me

Old 07-23-2006, 10:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm very cautious no matter what I drive when I'm out on country roads at night. Being on a bike just makes it even worse. You should do whatever makes you feel more safe. I wouldn't care what anyone said about my highbeams bothering them. Whats worse, crashing, or irritating someone?

Old 07-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

if someone irratated me enough i bet they would of wished they crashed. i agree with you mark, beam on. i ride in the city with the hi beams on.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:11 PM

I dont agree with riding with high beams when you are behind someone. It can blind them and then you both crash. I live in the country and we ride alot at night, what I did was raised my low beams a little to give me a little further vision without bothering the rider in front of me. We all know what it is like when a car behind us has their high beams on at night, its the same with a bike, not just a bother but dangerous.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: No Good

I dont agree with riding with high beams when you are behind someone. It can blind them and then you both crash. I live in the country and we ride alot at night, what I did was raised my low beams a little to give me a little further vision without bothering the rider in front of me. We all know what it is like when a car behind us has their high beams on at night, its the same with a bike, not just a bother but dangerous.
I will agree with ya on that. I think I will do the dual headlight conversion myself for saftey of me first, and for the saftey of others.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

I actually don't mind riding at night. I don't live in a city and we have a lot of animals that like to play on the roads. As long as there are no vehicles in front of me, I use my high beams and I always watch the ditches on both sides of the road for any 'eyes'. Plus at night I take it pretty easy, but I really do like driving at night, don't know why, but I do.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

All though the headlights are still bright they are not as bright as most cars.

ORIGINAL: lemac

ORIGINAL: No Good

I will agree with ya on that. I think I will do the dual headlight conversion myself for saftey of me first, and for the saftey of others.

Big V being able to see is the key thing. If it bothers your buddy that much get in front of him and then ride with your brights on.