General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Does every biker have a crash ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Does every biker have a crash ???

i was half serious i knew someone would say that. haha i drive very defensivly but i am pretty aggressive as well. good thing my bike isnt a daily driver.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm well just stay safe...

Old 04-23-2007, 02:43 AM

well i guess i had mine the day i got it pulled it in on that slick garage floor with some water on the tires and there she went out from under me.....lucky for me i had the sliders on it

Old 04-23-2007, 03:36 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I am not sure if I like the tier stuff idea. Having ridden dirt in the past (ie, since 1973). But I think it should be more of the riders ability and not just "this is how it is" kinda thing. Slip ups happen whether a novice or an expert is riding. Things happen.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

I am not sure if I like the tier stuff idea. Having ridden dirt in the past (ie, since 1973). But I think it should be more of the riders ability and not just "this is how it is" kinda thing. Slip ups happen whether a novice or an expert is riding. Things happen.
Well in a way you did the tiered riding. You started out dirt bike riding. I'm sure you didn't jump on 400cc bike first time out. You went small and worked your way up. The first bike I rode was a Honda QA50, then a Kawi 100, Honda 125, Honda 175. First bike I owned was a Honda CB360. Worked my way up.

I would like to see it to keep any snot nosed 18 year old or a 45 year old going through a mid life crisis who has never ridden a bike in their life from buying the latest R1GXSRZX10. He has no business riding one. Most of us here have years of experience and know just how powerful they are.

Slip ups do happen. Like I said earlier, I wrecked for the for the first time after riding for 30 years. But as a new rider, you need to start with something that you can handle. Not something that is a rocket ship.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:04 AM

IDK about that i started on a ktm250 in high school and then quit for about 3-4 years and now i am 21 and just got a 7r so it just depends on how you handle yourself on it you can figure out just how much power it has the first time you get on....just dont go past your ability level......and i agree with some one that has never ridden before to just go get a bike and go flying down the rode with no idea what the bike can do.....but if you have general riding experience then it shouldnt matter......and everyone has slip ups +1 on that

Old 04-23-2007, 04:44 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Right on Kev. Point taken and yes, growing up as a rider evaluates what and how they ride.
Pretty much I thought was stated in my last post. Every ride is a learning curve.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

Every ride is a learning curve.

+1

Old 04-23-2007, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Let me tell you what has happened to me and quite a few of my friends. I got rear ended, my father-in-law has been rear ended three times (once hard enough to require 3 knee operations). My buddy Chris got hit so hard from behind that he ended up on the hood of the car, and his bike wound-up getting shot into an intersection, and hit again. An old guy I work with got poked from behind by a delivery van while at an intersection. I was popped at while stopped with my foot on the brake, and my turn signal on. I know guys who have wiped out in turns, and a guy who have forgot to put his feet down at a stop light, then went plop. My recommendation is to get some gear, watch out for those big four wheeled critters, and ride within your abilities.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll second being rear-ended while at a red light, run over by an F-150 who ran a red light, wiped out in the canyons by leaning ALL the way over... (heh knee pucks would have been a good idea, then again I'd probably just known I was going to wipe out sooner lol), playing around on a freeway on ramp one of those fun 3/4 circle ones dragged my knee then hit some damn monster of a boulder (ok it wasn't all that big but big enough lol), dumped it in a parking due to cold tires and driving over the painted STOP letters lmao. I think that covers it... The phrase **** happens is a good one to remember when riding a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Does every biker have a crash ???