General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Dangerous Much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Dangerous Much?

I didnt know where this post would be more at home, so i decided to put it in general. Just a tip to those people who are as stupid as me (lol) Dont go on a long trip with little rubber left on your tyres... I live in Newcastle, NSW Australia, now it is about a 2 - 2.5 hr ride to sydney from here. Anyways i tried riding to sydney the other day on a near bald tyre... i stopped somewhere on the way down to check over the bike (precaution) and drain my bladder... It is here i realised "oh bugger, my rear tyre is showing gausse. there is no rubber left". it is here i decided after some time that i would try to make it back home on the freeway, and hope to god it dosent blow out... anyways i made it home, but took some pictures of the tyre when i got back. Here is some of them.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...R/PICT0521.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...R/PICT0520.jpg

Anyways, dangerous enough asit is, i took it to the bike shop to get a newrear tyre putonfirst thing the next morning. When it was done i picked it up and jumped on to get it home, and give it a wash. I was about a block away when as i was going arounda corner at about 12 kph (7.46mph) and the whole bike has just slipped right out from underneath me... we both fell pretty hard, and although i escaped with very minor injuries(cuts and abrasions) the bike was pretty screwed... I spend the whole of today trying to get it road worthy again, and finally it is on the road again (after about$500au) and that is not even including the cosmetics, i havent yetpriced the cost for the repairs to thefairings and the small tear in the plastic, but i already know it will not be cheap. Moral of the story is, dont ride with little rubber and also be EXREMELY careful on new tyres... THEY ARE SLIPPERY. I know i have learnt my lesson from this, i hope i can save some other people the troubles i have been through too.

Ride Safe

Old 01-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Default RE: Dangerous Much?

Damn that sucks. Glad your ok. Lesson learned!!!! That is one f'd up tire. Your crazy and lucky.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

those aussies are almost as crazy as those cunucks (no offence BB i still love you) Glad to hear your ok . youl be back on 2 wheels soon neough

Old 01-25-2007, 09:19 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

That is the worst bold spot i have ever seen on a bike.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Daumm AzzD, glad you made it back home safely.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

HAHA thanks guys, And yes us Aussies are crazy (sometimes) lol, i will try to get some pics of the fairings today, and the small tear in the plastic. i am just glad i can ride again... i was missing it lol. (even if it was only for a day and a bit)

Old 01-26-2007, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Name:  PICT0521.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  72.5 KBDam bro are there no turns where you live or what

Name:  PICT0520.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  158.9 KB

Old 01-26-2007, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like he over inflated the tire from the wear of it

Old 01-26-2007, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

HAHA no NotStock there are no turns here lol... it was unevenly worn when i bought the bike, so i guess its just continued to wear unevenly. What should be the PSI for these tyres? does anyone know?

Old 01-26-2007, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

And, Notstock, how did you imbed the pics into the forum like that? i tried for like 20 mins to do that...

Quick Reply: Dangerous Much?