General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Cruisers vs. Sport Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Default Cruisers vs. Sport Bikes

I'm looking for a bike that I can use for everyday use. I am soon to have a job, and I live close by. I'm choosing betweem the Kawasaki Ninja 650R or the Vulcan 1600 Mean streak. These are two very different motorcycles, and I'm not sure which one to get.

Ninja:
Pros:
Liking the style better
Cheaper
Faster
More fuel efficient

Cons:
Safety
Insurance prices!

Mean Streak:
Pros:
Style is OK
Still fairly fast
Safer
Insurance prices

Cons:
Not my favourite style
Fuel efficiency
Expensive

To be honest, I don't think that I want to go on the highway much, I'm too scared of going really fast. This could all change once I get a motorcycle, I'm not sure. I really love the style of the Ninja, and the 0-60 is nice too, 3.8. I also like it because the cruisers are more for older people.

Any input is welcome, thank you!

Old 10-27-2007, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cruisers vs. Sport Bikes

You pretty much answered it yourself. Better take the ninja and learn to ride it, rather then buying a bike you don't really like too much from the start. Since you are aware of dangers when riding a performance bike, you will take it easy at the beginning, right? Have you ridden before or is it your first bike?

Old 10-28-2007, 12:02 AM

Yeah, its my first bike. I've been on my uncles Harley, but it wasn't my favourite. I really like the idea of having the Ninja. My dad had the Ninja 10KR or something along the lines of that, and he had no complaints.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Is the insurance that big of a deal for you between the 650 and the vulcan?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I think the vulcan is Badass personally.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 PM

Yeah, its awesome but I can't see myself on it. I can't see myself on a sports bike either. I'm not sure, because safety is a really big thing for me. I'm looking at the insurance, and if I buy a cruiser, its more expensive but less per month. You'd think that this is an easy decision, but I'm really careful when I use my money and I really want the best, lol.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

It sounds to me you hardly like the meanie, I like the cruisers, I tend to buy what I like!
whatever you buy make sure you like it. you'll be happier that way. maybe poorer but happy.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

who says you cant buy happiness.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Honestly, if I had millions I'd be so god damned happy. Whoever made up that expression was obviously poor, or just had very bad financial problems. I am planning to go to a Kawasaki dealer soon and hopefully test drive both bikes, seeing which one I like more. Or just sitting on them, and seeing which one I like more. Thanks a lot guys. And anyone with a sport bike, can you tell me how much you pay for month for insurance?

Old 10-28-2007, 04:05 PM

The Ninja will be more capable of doing whatever you want it to do. Personally, I dislike the softer suspension of cruisers.

I went on the highway the first day I ownedmy firstmotorcycle. If you like the looks of the Ninja, shop around for insurance.

Even then, I think the Vulcan is pretty badass too.

Quick Reply: Cruisers vs. Sport Bikes