General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Cops caught at speeds over 130 mph on kawasaki's

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cops caught at speeds over 130 mph on kawasaki's

COLUMBUS, OHIO

Cruiser Cam of the stop http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/...peeding/19172/

A state trooper waited at least four days after a traffic stop to issue speeding tickets to a fellow trooper and a Gahanna police officer who authorities say were going almost 150 mph on westbound I-70.

The off-duty trooper was going 147 mph, according to the ticket he received four days after the June 28 stop. The off-duty Gahanna officer clocked in at 149 mph and was ticketed after eight days.

Lt. Shawn Davis, a patrol spokesman, said the delay was to allow Trooper Bryan D. Lee, 25, of the Granville post, to consult a supervisor before issuing the tickets. Waiting for clarification is not uncommon, Davis said, and officers technically have six months to issue a minor-misdemeanor citation under Ohio law.

"It happens all the time," Davis said. "I'm sure for a young trooper the fact that it involved two police officers weighed on his decision to seek supervision."

About 4:30 p.m. June 28, an air patrol in Licking County recorded Trooper Jason E. Highsmith, 35, and Gahanna Police Officer Christopher Thomas, 33, driving together at more than twice the speed limit atop two 2008 Kawasaki motorcycles, said Sgt. Karla Taulbee, a patrol spokeswoman.

The posted speed limit on that section of I-70, near the Buckeye Lake exit, is 65 mph.

Taulbee said neither motorcycle driver is facing a more serious charge of racing.

"It's up to the officer's discretion whether he feels they're drag-racing or just going down the road too fast," Taulbee said. "Usually, with drag-racing, you have to observe them stopped and then taking off."

Davis said Lee recognized Highsmith, who worked for the patrol's Columbus motorcycle unit and has been a trooper for 12 years.

Patrol Superintendent Richard H. Collins reassigned Highsmith to the Delaware post after the trooper's arraignment today.

Highsmith pleaded not guilty in Licking County Municipal Court. In Delaware, he won't be patrolling on a motorcycle.

Judge David Branstool told Highsmith he could face a $150 fine and a license suspension of up to three years because the high speed constituted reckless driving, even though the patrol didn't charge either officer with reckless driving.

Highsmith replied that he wanted to get the charges resolved because of his job, but he implied that the license suspension would be difficult given his work as a trooper.

"What I did was 100 percent wrong. I made a mistake," Highsmith said in court. But after hearing the maximum penalty, he added, "I'm going to have to plead not guilty."

A trial is pending.

Thomas is scheduled for arraignment next week. Gahanna Deputy Chief Ken Bell said no disciplinary action would be considered until after the court case is settled.

Highsmith and Thomas couldn't be reached for comment.

egibson@dispatch.com

Ohio Trooper Accused of Driving Motorcycle 147 mph Pleads Not Guilty
By Associated Press Staff Writer
July 9, 2009

NEWARK, Ohio (AP) - An off-duty state trooper accused of driving a motorcycle in excess of 140 mph on an interstate highway has pleaded not guilty.

Jason Highsmith, 35, entered the plea Wednesday before Licking County Municipal Court Judge David Branstool.

Authorities say that Highsmith was clocked going 147 mph on Interstate 70 east of Columbus, where the speed limit is 65 mph. It happened on June 28.

The judge told Highsmith that he would suspend his license if he was convicted of the minor misdemeanor and if it occurred under reckless circumstances.

Highsmith is assigned to the State Highway Patrol's motorcycle unit in Columbus.

He refused to comment to reporters following the hearing, and there is no telephone listing for him in the Columbus area.

Last edited by Vic Mackey; 07-11-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Hopefully, They take a no exceptions approach to both of them especially since they thought it was so funny...

Old 07-12-2009, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

its black and white and there is no reason to go over 100 on any public street but on a close course its all open

Old 07-13-2009, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

good on the junior trooper for not just brushing it under the rug, but I almost feel sorry for him, I bet he'll catch a load of **** for doing that.

Police have never been supposed to be above the laws that they enforce.