General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

coolant leaking problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Default coolant leaking problem.

Hey whats up guys, Im pretty new to this site, I just bought a 1995zx6e ninja off some guy about 3 weeks ago, for about800 bucks, it was a good deal, I thought, its my first bike, to and i barely learned how to ride it, but just a couple of days ago I was riding andcoming to a stopwhen, some steam or smoke was coming from under the handle bars, I got off quickly and turned off the bike, there was alot of liquid leaking by the radiator or the oil cooler, it was like greenish clearish, liquid. and I dont know what to do, I took off all the front fairings to check it out, but i'm not sure what to look for or to look at, any suggestions or comments guys?, I really need help on this, I really hope it is not a series problem. thank you.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: coolant leaking problem.

Welcome.

Being that it is green (Green=antifreeze), you're looking at a coolant leak. If you're lucky, it will only be a radiator hose. But, it could also be a cracked or leaking radiator also. The only other scenario is that the water pump seep hole is leaking antifreeze out, and it's running down the lower radiator hose.

You'll just have to look yourself to spot where the leak is. If you find the leaking component, but don't know what it is, take a picture and post it up. We'll be happy to tell you for a small sum of $10. J/K...

Old 10-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Clean the area so you can tell where it's coming from. Mark is probably right; likely a loose hose clamp or the weep hole. Also check to make sure you have the coolant reservoir hose a. on your bike, and b.that it's tight at the thermostat. Unlikely, but it could also be the thermostat gasket.
Tell us more; where exactly is the fluid? High, up toward the triple, or lower, near the bottom end of the engine?

Old 10-08-2007, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Another suggestion: I'm still new to this and it looks like we'll need to learn about how these things work. A friend is a certified motorcycle repairman for Yamaha. He suggested I get a Clymer manual for each of my bikes. They're great!!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:15 PM

Thanks guys, im gunna clean the area, and check all the tubes, and hoses down in that area, but if I take them off wont stuff start coming out of them, should i just check if there tighten. I'll keep you guys posted thanks again.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Do it while the bike is cold, that should help.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey man

yes if you take them off, coolant will come out. your best bet is to find where it is leaking first.
you want the area dry and if you still can't see where it is coming from, you can spray the area with some foot powder (aerosol spray)and run it a little. the coolant will leave a trail in the powder. but doNOT take it apart when it is Hot. It can Hurt you!

Good luck man
Gary

Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sticky tirestossing road debrisagainst the rad is not a good thing also. Just another thing to think about.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 AM

thanks guys I found the problem, there was a tear in one of the coolant tubes, I bought a new one, for like 26 bucks and its comin in a couple days

Old 10-15-2007, 10:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Good job