General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

continental attack tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Default continental attack tires?

Has or is anyone running these tires? I have read up on them and I know one guy running them, he has 7k on them and they are still in pretty good shape. He is running Street (or road) Attacks. He said they handle a little differently which took some getting used to but he really loves them. They hit the track (Mid Ohio) about once a month and the tires do well there too. He says they are very predictable. I don't know anyone who has tried thesport Attacks but all the reviews I have read rank them very high. I was looking at Mich- pilot powers but if the Conti Attacks are as good but last longer I will be money ahead to go that route. I have yet to really ride my ZX9R so I won't notice if the tires effect the way the bike handles as I'm still getting used to the bike itself.
So if you guys (or girls) have some insight please fill me in.
Thanks
Bob

Old 01-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: continental attack tires?

Sorry I have never tried the continental but I can give you thumbs up on the Pilot Power.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

+ 2 on the pilot powers. alltho, pp's are more of a cornering tire,so if your not ready to crank it over, dont waste your money on them. pp's are also a stickier compound so if your just planing on a comute ride, go with something else. cant say anything about continental. just something to think about.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:35 AM

The Conti-Attacks are a dual compound radial that (from the reviews) they say is as sticky if not more so than Pilot Powers. The center of the tire is pretty tough and resist wear better. They use a compound they call "Black Chili" for the side edges. It gets up to temp with almost no effort and stays consistant even through hard abuse.
Although I haven't got much time on the bike I have been riding for a long time so with in a few weeks I suppose I will be back up to speed on the 9. I want a tire thats gonna grip and yes I will be using the bike to get to and from work so its gotta last. Maybe you guys can do a search over the Conti road attack and the conti sport attack tire reviews... maybe I am over looking details that you guys might pick up on. I talked to one of the guys that rides locally and he has been checking them out too. Seems he knows some guys running them and they speek very highly of the tires.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:37 AM

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews...oad-attack.php

Here is one review I read. This guy doesn't compair them against the pilot powers though.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

All I know about them are from reading from others. A few 10r riders use Conti's. Here is a start http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.p...=Conti+Attacks

Old 01-30-2007, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

im running the dunlop qualifiers on my zx-9 they got plenty of street grip(in the dry anyway). they only got about 2500 miles on em but they are wearing nicely .no track time but ... they grip as good as any ive used, solid to as far as i lean over anyway. although ive never had em on this bike i have allways loved the metzlers for confident corner grip but they chew up fast

Old 01-30-2007, 05:54 AM

I have yet to read a bad review on the contisport attacks. I would love to see a compairison between the road attacks and the sport attacks. The road attacks are were the mileage is. Dunlops get mixed reviews but mostly to the negative side... I won't buy dunlops because of my motocross days, I would shread a dunolp rear in a day! Mich. would last me almost a full season. I work to hard to throw money away on cheesy tires. I need a tire that will handle 40 miles a day with only a few good twisties (work commute)
I have to admit I am almost sold on the Continentals but I would love to hear more feed back on them.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:19 AM

Here is some good info on the Contisport attacks.
Continental Tire North America, Inc.

Continental Tire announces the new Conti Sport Attack ?Hypersport? Radial!

Continental enters the ?hypersport? radial market with the release of the new ultra-high performance ContiSport Attack which is intended for extreme riders who demand extreme performance from their modern sport and naked muscle bikes.

The new ContiSport Attack broadens Continental?s existing ?Attack? product line which currently consists of the ContiRoad Attack ?Sport Mileage? radial that was released in 2004. The ContiSport Attack will be available in the USA by February ?06.

The release of the Conti Sport Attack further reinforces Continental?s intention to be at the forefront of performance tire technology.

Conti Sport Attack Main Features:
? Engineered to meet the demands of today?s powerful high
performance sport bikes and naked muscle bikes.

? 0? steel belt spooled onto a rayon base construction delivers the
highest possible levels of grip, high-speed stability, and control.

? Superb grip in both wet & dry conditions.

? Superior high-speed stability.

? Excellent braking feedback when entering corners.

? Disappears beneath the rider with seamless performance.

? Positive feedback at maximum lean angles.

? Exceptionally quick warm-up time.

? Reduced kickback under hard acceleration.

? Stunning new tread pattern is a perfect match to the sleek lines of
today?s modern sport bikes and naked muscle bikes.

What kind of rider is the new Conti Sport Attack aimed
at?:
? The Sport Attack is for riders who demand extremes; the Sport Attack can
achieve an impressive 50.8? lean angle in dry conditions.

? The Sport Attack?s ultra-high performance level is perfect for riders who will
attend track day sessions.

? The Sport Attack?s handling characteristics and high levels of grip make it
suitable for high performance bikes such as the Ducati 999, CBR600RR,
ZX-10R, ZX-6R, GSX-R1000, GSX-R600, GSX-R750, R6, and R1 as well as
many other high performance bikes.

The Goal:
Continental?s primary goal during the development of the ContiSport Attack was
a term called ?rideability.? Rideability is how a tire reacts in different situations
and makes a modern sport bike more rideable right from the start.

In short: the ContiSport Attack offers a new dimension of rideability!

The Design:
Continental?s exclusive 0? steel belt is spooled onto a base of rayon fabric which
serves as an extra stabilizer within the carcass construction. The steel belt
gives above all extreme stability at high speeds and minimal kickback
tendencies under hard acceleration.

The single rayon layer, especially when used with the rayon fabric base, stabilizes and preserves the shape of the contact patch and this, in-turn improves handling feedback.

Front and rear ContiSport Attacks share similar construction which means their performance is synchronized producing a noticeable balance in the motorcycles handling behavior.

The Compound:
Continental?s technicians have created a new innovation in rubber compounding
that they call ?Black Chilli.? This rubber compound is a completely new
development and is by far the softest being used in the sport radial segment,
needing very little time to warm up to the optimal operating temperature.

Although ?Black Chilli? is the softest compound being used in the sport radial
segment, it also offers high durability with long tread life.

Product Information:
Description: ?06 Retail Price Range;
120/70ZR17 TL (58W) Sport Attack $125.00 + ($180.00 + CAD)
120/60ZR17 TL (55W) Sport Attack $125.00 + ($180.00 +CAD)
150/60ZR17 TL (66W) Sport Attack $145.00 + ($205.00 + CAD)
160/60ZR17 TL (69W) Sport Attack $145.00 + ($212.00 + CAD)
180/55ZR17 TL (73W) Sport Attack $155.00 + ($230.00 + CAD)
190/50ZR17 TL (73W) Sport Attack $170.00 + ($245.00 + CAD)
190/55ZR17 TL (75W) Sport Attack $170.00 + ($245.00 + CAD)

Old 01-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xyz1000rr

im running the dunlop qualifiers on my zx-9 they got plenty of street grip(in the dry anyway). they only got about 2500 miles on em but they are wearing nicely .no track time but ... they grip as good as any ive used, solid to as far as i lean over anyway. although ive never had em on this bike i have allways loved the metzlers for confident corner grip but they chew up fast
As I have previously mentioned, I too am running the non oem Q's. Tad over 4k miles on the street. Showing a flat spot in the center. Too many long trips this last year. Not too bad for $235 shipped and takes my throttle abuse with me not pushing it on the streets. It is a good street tire.

Sorry dieselmech, I have played with dunlops before (1988 to now) and the Q is actually a good set of tires. I did not say perfect, and I already mentioned that I have no experience with the Conti's. Maybe I need to try out a set and feel the differences? But once you have the feel for a certain way of doing things, setup, etc. That is kinda tough

If I find any other Conti tire stuff, I will defineatly let ya know.

Quick Reply: continental attack tires?