General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Considering a 250 as my first bike, but..

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:50 AM
Default Considering a 250 as my first bike, but..

I'm considering a 250 for my first bike. It's cheap, and from what i've seen it's a great beginners bike. The only experience i've had on bikes is small amounts of dirt biking from time to time. I really want to start riding but after all the posts i've seen about peoples "close calls" or accidents i'm not so sure I want to hop on one of these bad boys in the street. I always wear a helmet but it seems you just can't trust the other people out there. Also i'm about 5'11 and 150 lbs, should it be a problem for me to keep this bike up right? Help clear my mind of all this doubt guys. First post btw : )

Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Considering a 250 as my first bike, but..

Dont let accidents scare you man. riding is so much fun and cheap on mileage. ive said it quite a few times already. youll out grow a 250cc in a matter of months. honestly id go with a 500 or a 6r.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

your weight height is perfect for this bike, though the 2fiddy can handle a much bigger (or smaller) rider. It really is a great beginner bike but I would say if you are thinking that you might learn on it and move to a bigger bike after a few years, trust me you will want it sooner than you think. My suggestions:

1) if you just want to putt around town, don't care about looks and don't need insane speed or pickup: buy a new or slightly used 250

2) if you want to learn and get around before moving up to a bigger bike possibly soooner than later, buy a cheap 250 thats well used that runs OK

3) if you want a bike you can learn on but still grow into but won't get you killed right off the first takeoff, and you don't see yourself wanting to upgrade in the coming few years, try for a used or new 500 or 650 (non supersport) like the Kawi 650R or 500R, or others like it.

4) if you want to go on long trips cross country often: don't buy a 250!

5) if you think you're cool and wanna be a complete newb and possibly do something crazy and stupid: buy a 6r or even bigger. I don't suggest it though many people do it that way I guess..

Of course those are all only my opinion. Personally I did #1 thinking I could live with it, but quickly learned that I can't and I want a new bike. The perfect option for me should of been #2.

Best of luck and let us know what you do! and post pics of course!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 AM

Going super fast and being an idiot on a bike is the last thing i want to do ha. I just want to be able to cruise around town on one until i'm comfortable with my abilities to go faster and such.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:12 AM

One more member of the chorus telling you to go for a Kawasaki Ninja 500R or something similar, especially if you can find a used low-mileage one like I did. You'll outgrow a 250 in a week or two. Have fun.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:15 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I like options 1 and 2. I would have added get a manual and learn your ride even more. Getting comfy with a ride is more than just knowing how to ride it.
Welcome to the forums

Old 07-17-2007, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Take the MSF course ........PLEASEmy first street bike is/was a 05 636 , get what your comfortable with .

Old 07-17-2007, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah i second the MSF or a local course.. experienced riders will teach you things you would never think of otherwise.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Good writeup Jesse.[sm=smiley20.gif]

The 250R is best suited as an in town riding motorcycle. For me, it gets extremely uncomfortable riding it after a little over an hour. So unless you have a seat pad, I wouldn't take it on a long trip. (BTW: there isn't anything stopping the 250 from a long trip. It would just kill your body long before you kill it.)

If you have the extra money, there is nothing wrong with owning two bikes. I use the 250R for most of my daily runs to and from work considering it gets AWESOME gas mileage! (something to think about.) I take out the 750 when I want to have a little fun.

About riding around in traffic, feeling vulnerable next to the sea of SUV's really makes NO difference what kind of bike you're on. In fact, I would much rather be on a lite weight bike over a heavy one if I ever go down. Getting pinned by a 300 LB bike wouldn't be as bad as a 900 LB Goldwing![] Also, the 250 is more agile, than most other larger bikes including 600cc bikes. (Helpful when avoiding idiots making left turns in front of you.)

Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I have to agree. The only reason I'm not getting a 250 and a ZX6R for the whole gas thing is because I want to buy my wife a sport bike too, that way we can somewhat match when we go riding around town. Then if I have to take a long trip, I'll just take her Vulcan!

Vic

Quick Reply: Considering a 250 as my first bike, but..