General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

changing a salvage title to a "clean"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default changing a salvage title to a "clean"?

So I have a frame for a 2007 ninja, only problem is it came with a salvage title, I want to do it right, but I want to know if there's a way apply to have the title changed into a normal clean title? I have called the NM DMV and they didn't know. has anyone done this? Is it possible/legal?

Old 05-10-2008, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: changing a salvage title to a "clean"?

Just take both titles to the DMV and explain your dilemma. They would likely have a better answer than any of us could probably give you. I have a feeling you'll be stuck with the salvage title though.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:52 AM

when I bought my ZX6R 2001 it came with salvage title and after i fixed , the DMV inspector came to my house filled the inspection paperwork and gave me a copy, Keep thereceipt of the parts
you won't be able to changed to a clean title, it will be a rebuilt title
this is what DMV request in order to change it
Rebuilt=
The vehicle was a salvaged vehicle that was refurbished with new or used parts. An affidavit of repair from the rebuilder or individual making the repairs, stating what repairs were made to the vehicle and that the vehicle is now rebuilt and road operable, may be required to obtain a rebuilt/rebuildable title. These vehicles must also pass a state safety inspection before being allowed back on the road.

I know you are in another state, maybe different laws,, but I hope this help you a little

Old 05-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

your gonna have to check with your state. everywheres different. i know in ca, you can buy a salvaged bike and have it titled as a special construction after it has been rebuilt and put through the tests required. i am currently looking at a few bikes that have salvaged titles but have been rebuilt and revamped but still hold the salvaged title so if i do get one of the bikes ill post up as to how it all went down.