General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Belt final drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Default Belt final drive

Am I correct in saying that way back the EN500 had final belt drive. Now why in heck did Kawasaki change to chain? Thanks, Craig

Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 AM
1st Gear Member

dunno.. belts are the most efficient form of power transmission..

BUT, they absolutely HAVE TO be perfectly lined up, otherwise the teeth will wear eneven and it'll be noisy and kill the belt.

they're VERY finicky.. i mewan.. REAL bad..

great when they're set up, very nice and smooth, my cruiser was belt driven.

chain drives are just cheaper to make, and easier to work with and maintain. not 100% sure why they shyed from them tho..

Old 11-24-2008, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

They also break at inopportune times. Nearly cleaned up a Buell at a trackday when his broke and I was coming up behind.

gammac

Old 11-24-2008, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

For high torque applications like wheelies and such, chains are more reliable. I would also prefer a chain for high speed like 150 mph and above. I know the belts are very reliable these days but I would not want a belt on my ZX14. I think it would eat belts!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I prefer chain drive on the more hp demanding machines. Would think that a belt drive would be satisfactory for a 50hp 500cc machine.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Are belt drives as adjustable as chain? We can change sprocket sizes to tune the bike to our purposes. A belt does not seem like it would be able to do that as well, it would just slip right?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 AM
1st Gear Member

All the belt final drives I've seen are toothed belts, so no slip. The problem is that there are very few, if any, suppliers of aftermarket sprockets. The other problem is that no one has yet managed to fit a belt drive on anything with more than about 50 bhp without it self destructing.

That said, once fitted they tend to stretch very little - usually just a bit when new, and need no lubrication, so they're quiet, clean, and effectively have a built in shock absorber that on some bikes has allowed the rear wheel to be built without the usual cush drive.

Rob

Old 11-25-2008, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, and one sharp gravel between the sprocket and belt equals 160 dollar belt, and at least 500 dollars labor on a Harley, probably more. The repair estimate book says 10 hours.
On a Harley, the rear suspension has to be removed along with the oil tank, inner and outer primary, and starter. At least on a Fatboy, it is one hell of a job! I have did it on mine.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Harleys are awesome

Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Worlok14
Yeah, and one sharp gravel between the sprocket and belt equals 160 dollar belt, and at least 500 dollars labor on a Harley, probably more. The repair estimate book says 10 hours.
On a Harley, the rear suspension has to be removed along with the oil tank, inner and outer primary, and starter. At least on a Fatboy, it is one hell of a job! I have did it on mine.
Just one more reason never to buy a Harley - or to fabricate a guard

Rob

Quick Reply: Belt final drive