General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Any interest in carbon fiber stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Any interest in carbon fiber stuff?

A friend of mine is getting a vacuum bagging kit to make carbon fiber and fiberglass pieces. They would basically be replacements for current pieces. For instance, he'll be making cabon fiber replacements for my ram air duct covers on my bike and likely other things. Possibly the plastic on my mirror and stuff. But, with this system basically the sky's the limit. He could make entire fairing replacements. I told him that I'd bring it up to all of you to see if there would be any interest in anything like this for you all. I've known the guy for a while and he does a fantastic job with fiberglass (making speaker boxes, pods, etc). He's even made "eyelids" for his own SRT-4 that look awesome. Cost, I have no clue about just yet since I haven't really talked to him about it. I do know that carbon fiber is expensive. Somewhere around $75 per square yard so I'm certain the size of the piece and level of detail would all factor into it. I'm really only checking to see if anyone here would be even remotely interested in something like this.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Default RE: Any interest in carbon fiber stuff?

If the price is fair, I'm interested. 05 ZX10R Anything to lighten the bike

Old 01-13-2008, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I've gotta talk to him about it, but I do know that whatever pieces he's going to be making he'll actually need the original to make a mold of it. I would imagine that since you would need to do that in order for him to create the mold that you could get it at a discount. First of all we're going to have him make some pieces for my bike so he can actually get the hang of the system and then once he knows the method he'll be wanting to make pieces for others. I'm really only seeing if there's any interest in it at the moment. This could be a couple months before he'll be ready to do this. I'll post pictures of pieces he makes for me once he's actually made some to see an example of the quality to be expected with your own pieces.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

where are you, statewise?
i could go for some numberplates.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

michigan

Old 01-13-2008, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

haha
nevermind. i live in so.nh

Old 01-13-2008, 03:01 AM

I'm in Ca. Keep us posted

Old 01-13-2008, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Will do

Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I'd be interested in a windscreen for my '95 zx9. I have a spare I could send. Some guy quoted me a price of $150 to do one, which I thought was just a tick on the high side. (no pun intended.) But, the guy who quoted me, does excellent work.
If the price is right, you can count me in.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Alright, as soon as he's able to do some stuff I'll let you all know. And I'll post pictures of things he's done for me once he has it so you can see what you can expect

Quick Reply: Any interest in carbon fiber stuff?