General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Advice required!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Default Advice required!

I'm about to sell my bike.

I guy from a neighbour state sent me a good offer, but he is asking me to lend him my plates for a day so he can drive back. It is my understanding that even after the bike has been sold to him if anything happens on my plates I'm still liable. Is this correct?

In VA you can get a "permit" to operate a vehicle for up to three days after being sold. Does anyone know how that works?

Also, he will bring a cashiers check from an out of state Bank. I've read so many stories about people getting ripped of that I'm concerned.

Is there a way to verify a check? What would your advice be? He offered to transfer the money once he gets the bike, but that is also tricky as the money may never get here. The other option is I deposit the check in my account right away, but it can still bounce ...

How would you sort this out? I was planning on taking pictures of the guy ... just in case.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Advice required!

question did you sell it on ebay myspace how did you sell it? One it could be a scam. 2. i wouldnt do it personally. and 3. to find out about the temp tag persay go down tothe dmv

Old 02-13-2007, 06:24 PM

ususally if it is a certified bank check try calling the Bank it is from and check to see if it is valid. Even your own Bank can do that. As to your plates I wouldn't let him have them. It is his responsibility to get his own liability coverage and his own plates for the bike. Or tell him to arrange for the bike to get transported to his house. Once the bike is sold and title is transferred it is out your hands and liability. Good Luck

Old 02-13-2007, 06:48 PM

I've seen many forms of scams. They give you a check. You deposit it and .... it bounces over and over between banks before realizing it is a fake. After two months you get a call to tell you you have $0. This is my concern.

I posted it in biketrader. The guy has called a couple times and candrive to my town this weekend. The issues is we meet at 3:00 pm on Saturday. Time at which my bank will be closed so I could not use them to verify.

I tried moving it to early in the morning. Lets hope he can do it.

I checked DMV and it says it is a matter of sending them the info of the car and they will issue the permit. Just want to make sure the permit will be valid across state lines.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

i called about the same thing a temp tag but in maine they only do it for cars not bikes and if ur plate is on the bike even after its sold its bad news 4 you so says my trooper freind dont do it i have 4 a freind but i shouldnt have. and if he can bring a casheirs check he can bring CASH let him bring his own plate or truck it home even if you trying to be nice who knows what kinda trouble he gets into with ur plate or if he sends it back to risky. and if you cant cash check at bank b4 he gets it get CASH CASH CASH

Old 02-13-2007, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

only take cash or money order dood

Old 02-13-2007, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

It's not worth getting scammed. Either make the guy pay cash, or have a certified money order. Oh, and don't count on getting your plates back once they're in that guys possession.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:07 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

I work for a bank doing fraud investigations. I hear things like this all the time. Like every one else said get cashor a certified money order. Good luck with with.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Just tell him you arent comfortable giving him your plates and offer to help him get the temps, if he has a problem with thatI wouldnt do business with him.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I have to agree with the above mentioned. If pulled over he can show a bill of sale at least along with his insurance. Forget the loaning of your plate.

Quick Reply: Advice required!