General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

454ltd clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Default 454ltd clutch problems

Just bought myself another bike that Im planning to bobb. I picked up a 454ltd for a decent price and all was looking good but now Im having a couple issues.Im having problems with the clutch not disengaging. Started by adjusting the lever play and that didnt do anything. So, since I just got the bike from a guy a couple weeks ago I was hoping it was from oil deterioration, so I changed the filter and oil with no luck. Next I moved on to overhauling the clutch. Pulled the spring plate and checked the spring free length, pushrod and pushrod bearing and everything was in spec. Then I moved on to thickness of the friction plates and the steel plates and they speced out fine. When I checked the plates for warpage I found a couple plates that may be a little warped as I can slide my .30mm feeler gauge under them. So at this point I was about to drop the money on new plates but just for fun I thought Id try to start the bike up without the guts of the clutch in and see what would happen. To my dismay it started and I immediately shut it off. Am I crazy or should this not happen? I dont have an impact or a clutch holding tool to pull the hub off. I was trying to cheat by not pulling the hub and checking all the other parts. I didnt really think I had to since I could do a visual on it with it still in the bike. Should I do it like this. At this point Im starting to dread the possible fact that the hub is seized on the shaft. Am I heading in the right direction or am i misquided? Im about to spend the money for the hub tool so I can try to crack it loose and see but im gonna have to wait on shipping. I was looking for any advice or experience I could get. Thanks everybody.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

bobb? Ever heard of paragraphs, makes it a lot easier to read. You started the engine with bits hanging out exposed? Whatever possessed you?
Why would you need to pull the hub off if you are just replacing plates? Why do you think the hub is seized? I'm really not sure where you are going or where you want to go? Sounds like you need to put the new plates in and without starting the engine put it all back together.
Maybe I missed something?
Good luck with it

Old 04-04-2010, 05:01 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yeah, I feel like an overwhelmed redheaded aussy too after reading that post. Look at your manual esker and good luck.

Welcome to KF

Old 04-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Smile wow

I apologize if I came off like a rambling idiot. I may be new but theres no reason to downgrade a fellow rider. (insert paragraph)
The reason I am thinking that the hub is seized is because, without any friction or steel plates in the clutch and without the pressure plate or springs there should be nothing connecting the engine to the transmission. (insert paragraph)
So unless I am confused, and that is a possibility, then the hub may be seized to the tranny shaft causing the clutch to not disengage. So any constructive help would be appreciated from people who know what they are talking about. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey esker3, check your PM's!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member

No-one downgraded you as you put it, if you cannot handle constructive comments then thats your problem and I shall refrain from commenting any further. Good day.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I did not see any downgrading, some messin' with ya for some better descriptions. So is this thing fixed yet?