General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

1989 kawasaki zx10 "engine lever adjuster"

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Default 1989 kawasaki zx10 "engine lever adjuster"

Hi all! I have a 1989 kawasaki zx10 that is leaking oil. I have cleaned off the underside of the engine and located where the leak is. the problem im having is recognizing or naming the seal that is responsible. i have never seen anything like this on any other bike accept the 86 zx1000 in my garage. it is some sort of adjusting mechanism located below and forward of the clutch case cover, (right side) and just inside the banjo bolt connecting the hard line from the "crank oiling system"? to the oil pan (maybe to the oil pump itself, im not sure if this hard line is pressure or return). i hope im explaning this well enough, but its almost directly below the crankshaft on the right side, there is a slotted cylinder with a single indexing dimple which is fasted in place by an arm which is bolted the the lower engine crankcase on the rear side, and to the unit in question via pinch clamp. i would like to know more about this so i dont make more work for myself by disassembling something in dont know much about. my first guess was it might be a proportioning valve for crank oil... i dont know though, just a guess... anyone know what im rambling on about? thanks for the help.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hey mike, have you checked out the fiche on your ride yet? What about your manual in the oiling section? Just asking. ya got me looking over my shoulder to my bike manual shelves to see if I have your ride or not. My guess is a fiche will give you the leaky gasket/seal in question.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Post a pic if you can. (That would help those of us who don't own that ride, have a better idea of what you're seeing.)

Old 12-24-2012, 01:25 PM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and am currently rebuilding a 1988 zx10. It's nearly finished. I've spent a stupid amount of money on it and have enjoyed every moment so far.
The seal you want is this:
The redundant part number you need to fix the leak is 92049-1174 . This part is NOT AVAILABLE anymore.
However, this part: 92049-1569 is available and works perfectly.

It's the balancing shaft oil seal.

Mark the position of the central rod with the clamp (so you can hook it back up easier/not have to adjust it once you're done). Undo the oil line. You will need to drain some oil (about a litre and a half. I'm Australian, I don't do imperial units, sorry).
Undo the clamp holding the balancing shaft. Pull the assembly away. Pick at the rubber oil seal until it comes out. put some oil on the new seal. Ensuring it goes in at the same position as the old one (make sure it's in the right way) push it into the hole. Do everything back up. Install oil line. Fill with oil.

If your engine makes a whirring/squeeling noise you'll have to adjust the balancer shaft after installation. With the engine idling and the clamp loosened, turn the shaft with a flat head screwdriver until it stops making the noise. Then do up the clamp.

DONE!

Last edited by SIKYSA; 12-24-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 PM

Awesome!! that is exactly what i was looking for! I actually managed to remove the seal but it was too shot to get a number off of... the balance shaft is indicated and is quite firm in its possition, shouldnt have much trouble? dont plan on moving it... thanks for your help!!

Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Question

Originally Posted by SIKYSA
I'm new to this forum and am currently rebuilding a 1988 zx10.
SIKYSA,

I'm rebuilding a ZG1000 with ZRX pistons and 1988-90 ZX10 connecting rods. I need some help finding the torque procedure for the ZX10 connecting rods. If you can help, I'm ccaatteess at gmail dot com.

Thanks,
-Scott

Old 06-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 AM
Old 06-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

WHAT!!!?? DRAG, you forgot to mention the auto-bill to scates PayPal account for the file download.......er...50 bucks, isn't it????

......just kidding scates. Glad to have you with us.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 AM

For me i do really think have you examined out the fiche on your drive yet? What about your guide in the oiling section ? Just asking. You got me looking over my neck to my guide racks to see if i have your drive or not.

Quick Reply: 1989 kawasaki zx10 "engine lever adjuster"