General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

05 636 sounds like a 650r at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Update.. After running 20 miles with seafoam in the tank, 98% of the sputtering is gone. Only time i encounter sputtering is when the bike is idling it will sputter for a brief moment then return to running clean. It was probably gumed up gas.. What do you all think.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member

yes, dirty fuel.
keep putting injector cleaner in it
that dealer owes you a free tank, at the very least a free first service

Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Prom
Its not the slipper clutch, just the fluid in the transmission. If its actually moving the bike you may need to adjust the clutch, but a little bit of forward pressure even at idle is normal. The slipper clutch keeps the rear end from passing you when you downshift too quickly.
I assumed that's what it was but not knowing the 636 I didn't want to speak out of turn. Definitely sounds like your clutch likely needs adjusting.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sup_uni
yes, dirty fuel.
keep putting injector cleaner in it
that dealer owes you a free tank, at the very least a free first service
This. Is it just me or does it seem like the majority of motorcycle dealerships have substandard policies when it comes to delivering their product? While the dealership I got my bike from was absolutely incredible I knew more about the bike than the salesmen who was supposed to be walking me through the orientation on the bike.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Although I stay away from dealers as a rule, salesmen are salesmen, and mechanics (good ones anyway) are mechanics. Sales guys are there to sell bikes. Mechanics are there to make them run. It's a right brain, left brain difference.
As for the injector cleaner, (all due respect sup) I would not use it routinely (more than one tank every couple months. Injector cleaner is VERY corrosive, and can do nasty things in the wrong places. Chevron Techron is pretty highly recommended, when you need to use an injector cleaner, and is pretty easy to find (WalMart.) Best bet is to make sure your fuel is fresh and use an inline fuel filter.
Glad your bike is running better!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

dealers suck. plain and simple. they typically underdeliver and overcharge.

then again, you're kinda stuck because it seems theres an influx of people over the last 5 or so yerars that "can work on bikes" but end up trashing **** they work on.

either you must perform the work yourself or research a reputable mechanic (like myself) and stick with them.. you will be burnt a few times until you find a capable person whos work ethic rocks and hows work itself actually.. works.

like jeff said, techron FTW, LOVE that stuff.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
As for the injector cleaner, (all due respect sup) I would not use it routinely (more than one tank every couple months.
yes, he is correct. sorry after i read my own post i dont know why i said keep using. thanks for the correction.

you know if you want you can get into it and manually clean the injectors.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:46 AM

My friend got a bike from a dealer, and it died the first week. Then when he called them to fix it, they said it was the battery, and told him to buy one!

Old 03-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Thumbs up Hey Bud!

Originally Posted by NickJ
My friend got a bike from a dealer, and it died the first week. Then when he called them to fix it, they said it was the battery, and told him to buy one!
Don't tell them that! LOL! Hey bud! I figured it out! Send me a pm when you can! (The bike works perfect now by the way)

Old 03-21-2010, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Let's see a picture of this perfect bike! Welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply: 05 636 sounds like a 650r at idle